Pieter Omtzigt in 2006
|Member of the House of Representatives|
26 October 2010
3 June 2003 – 17 June 2010
|Born||Pieter Herman Omtzigt
8 January 1974
The Hague, Netherlands
|Political party||Christian Democratic Appeal (2000–present)|
|Alma mater||University of Exeter (BA)
European University Institute (PhD)
Pieter Herman Omtzigt (born 8 January 1974) is a Dutch politician. As a member of the Christian Democratic Appeal (Christen-Democratisch Appèl) he was an MP from 3 June 2003 to 17 June 2010 and is currently an MP since 26 October 2010. He focuses on matters of taxes, pensions and additions.
Omtzigt currently serves on the Committee on European Affairs, Foreign Affairs, Housing and Kingdom Services, Social Affairs and Employment, Finance and Public Expenditure.
In addition to his role in parliament, Omtzigt has been serving as member of the Dutch delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe since 2004. He is currently a member of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights; the Committee on the Honouring of Obligations and Commitments by Member States of the Council of Europe (Monitoring Committee); the Sub-Committee on Human Rights; the Sub-Committee on the implementation of judgments of the European Court of Human Rights; and the Sub-Committee on the Rights of Minorities. Since 2014, he has been serving as the Assembly’s rapporteur on mass surveillance. Between 2016 and 2017, he prepared the Assembly’s proposal on an Investment Court System (ICS) for arbitrating in commercial disputes between states and foreign investors.
In 2017, media in Netherlands described how fake news of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash were propagated with the support of Omtzigt who introduced a Russian man as an "eyewitness" of the crash on a public expert debate in May 2017. The man, who was an asylum-seeker from Ukraine, never witnessed the crash and his speech, texted to him by Omtzigt prior to the interview, repeated one of the Russia-promoted versions of Mig jets downing the Boeing.
- "Dr. P.H. (Pieter) Omtzigt". Parlement & Politiek (in Dutch). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Pieter Omtzigt". House of Representatives. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Call on UK to investigate spying on human rights groups by UK secret services Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, press release of 14 July 2015.
- Investment court system a ‘reasonable compromise’ for arbitrating disputes between states and foreign investors Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, press release of 27 January 2017.
- "Hoe twijfel rond MH17 in de hand wordt gewerkt". NRC (in Dutch). Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- (in Dutch) Parlement.com biography
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pieter Omtzigt.|