Weening at the 2013 Tour de Pologne
|Full name||Pieter Weening|
5 April 1981 |
Harkema, the Netherlands
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||68 kg (150 lb; 10.7 st)|
|Infobox last updated on
6 January 2015
Pieter Weening (born 5 April 1981) is a road bicycle racer from Harkema, Friesland, the Netherlands, currently riding for Orica-GreenEDGE. From 2004 to 2011, he rode for Rabobank. In August 2015, it was announced that Weening had signed for Team Roompot for the 2016 season.
In 2005 Weening won a stage in the Tour de France. After one of the closest finishes in the Tour ever, Weening won the eighth stage just ahead of Andreas Klöden. In the same year he also won a stage in the Tour de Pologne and finished second overall, five seconds behind winner Kim Kirchen. He was named Dutch cyclist of 2005.
With only a stage win in the Tour of Austria, Weening had to wait six years before a next big victory. In the 2011 Giro d'Italia, just one day after the neutralised stage due to the death of Wouter Weylandt, Weening won stage 5. Analysts described this stage as a 'Mini Tour of Lombardy'. The stage had an uphill finish and several unpaved stretches (strade bianche). Weening was the strongest on the uphill finish of a small break away and stayed just in front of the peloton. After the stage win, he was awarded the Pink leaders jersey. He gave the physical jersey awarded to him on the podium to Wouter Weylandt's family.
On 10 August 2011, and after eight seasons with Rabobank, Weening left the team to join the new GreenEDGE squad for its inaugural season in 2012.
In 2013, Weening won the Tour de Pologne after starting the time trial fifth overall, and 27 seconds down. He managed to take the lead by placing a solid performance.
In 2014, Weening again won a stage in the Giro d'Italia, after also being part of the team that won the first-stage team time trial. On stage 10, he took part in the day's main breakaway and, along with Davide Malacarne (Team Europcar), was able to stay away to the end of the stage. He outsprinted Malacarne in the closing metres, to take the third individual stage win of his career. Weening also won the 2014 Giro della Toscana from a solo attack.
- 2nd GP Wielerrevue
- 6th Overall Tour de l'Avenir
- 1st Overall Jadranska Magistrala
- 1st Stage 2
- 9th Overall Tour of Austria
- 10th Overall Niedersachsen-Rundfahrt
- 1st Stage 8 Tour de France
- 2nd Overall Tour de Pologne
- 1st Stage 6
- 9th Overall Vuelta a Murcia
- 8th Overall Critérium International
- 7th Overall Regio-Tour
- 1st Ridderronde Maastricht
- 3rd Overall Vuelta a Murcia
- 4th Overall Tour de Pologne
- 6th Overall Tour of Austria
- 1st Stage 3
- 2nd National Road Race Championships
- 5th Overall Ster Elektrotoer
- 8th Overall Vuelta a Murcia
- 10th Overall Tour of Austria
- Giro d'Italia
- 1st Stage 5
- Held Pink Jersey from stages 5–8.
- 6th Overall Tour de Romandie
- 10th Overall Tour of California
- 1st Overall Tour de Pologne
- 2nd Overall Tour de Langkawi
- 2nd GP Impanis-Van Petegem
- 6th Overall Tour of the Basque Country
- 8th Overall Eneco Tour
- 8th Amstel Gold Race
- 8th Amstel Curaçao Race
- 9th Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana
- Giro d'Italia
- 1st Stages 1 (TTT) & 9
- 1st Giro di Toscana
- 1st Stage 1 (TTT) Giro d'Italia
Grand Tours overall classification results timeline
- Aubrey, Jane (10 August 2011). "Weening joins GreenEdge". Cycling News (Future Publishing Limited). Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Pieter Weening". ProCyclingStats. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Weening tekent bij ploeg Boogerd" [Weening signs for Boogerd's team]. De Telegraaf (in Dutch). 11 August 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- Pieter Weening wielrenner van het jaar (Dutch)
- Gezocht:opvolger voor Weening (Dutch)
- Cycling News (2011-05-02). "Stage 5 Preview". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- Cycling News (2011-05-13). "Weylandt's funeral scheduled for Wednesday". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Pieter Weening wins Giro d'Italia stage nine after breakaway". The Guardian. 18 May 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Giro della Toscana 2014 - Classic". ProCyclingStats. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pieter Weening.|
- Official website
- Pieter Weening at Trap-Friis.dk. Archive copy at the Wayback Machine (archived 24 May 2011)