Pieve di Cadore
|Pieve di Cadore|
|Comune di Pieve di Cadore|
|Frazioni||Damos, Nebbiù, Pozzale, Sottocastello, Tai|
|• Mayor||Maria Antonia Ciotti|
|• Total||66.6 km2 (25.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||878 m (2,881 ft)|
|Population (31 May 2007)|
|• Density||61/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Nativity of the Virgin|
|Saint day||September 8|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pieve di Cadore.|
Pieve di Cadore is a comune (municipality) in the province of Belluno in the Italian region of Veneto, about 110 kilometres (68 miles) north of Venice and about 35 km (22 miles) northeast of Belluno. "Pieve" means "Parish church". It is the birthplace of the Italian painter Titian.
With its strategic location, the town was a medieval stronghold with fortifications, called the "walled city of the Veneto." The main sight is the Palazzo della Magnifica Comunità ("Palace of the Magnificent Community"), built in 1447 by the eponymous council which then ruled the city. It has a merloned tower which was completed in 1491.
A highway, SS51, connects the town with other communities in the Cadore Dolomite region.
Sports and Tourism
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Pieve di Cadore official website
- Translation of "pieve".
- Wolf, Norbert (2006). I, Titian. New York and London: Prestel. ISBN 9783791333847.
- Pieve di Cadore: History
- Google Maps: Pieve di Cadore in Belluno province.
- Pieve de Cadore, Sports Facilities.
- Cycling News, Giro d'Italia 2013 Stage 11
- Official website (Italian)
- Old postcards from Tai di Cadore (municipality of Pieve di Cadore) (Italian)