Pig Goat Banana Cricket
|Pig Goat Banana Cricket|
Poster featuring the main characters in order
|Also known as||Pig Goat Banana Cricket!|
|Created by||Dave Cooper|
|Based on||Pig Goat Banana Mantis! (2012)|
|Theme music composer||David Burns|
|Opening theme||Pig Goat Banana Cricket|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||40 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Louis J. Cuck|
Carl Faruolo (supervising producer)
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nickelodeon Animation Studio|
|Original network||Nickelodeon (2015–2016) |
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||July 16, 2015– August 11, 2018|
Pig Goat Banana Cricket (also abbreviated as PGBC) is an American animated television series created by Dave Cooper and Johnny Ryan for Nickelodeon. The show follows the interwoven adventures of the titular quartet. It premiered on July 16, 2015, after the 2015 Kids' Choice Sports Awards.
On June 25, 2015, Nickelodeon renewed Pig Goat Banana Cricket for a second season ahead of the series premiere.
Pig Goat Banana Cricket focuses on the titular quartet, a group of best friends and roommates: Pig, who is obsessed with pickles, Goat, who has musical dreams, Banana, who loves video games and Cricket, who is talented at mad science. The four embark on surreal journeys on their own, which are then interwoven together; the action is set in Boopelite City, a gigantic and whirring metropolis where many of the buildings look like archaic clockworks. The streets are constantly teeming with characters of intensely varied description, and the sidewalks are crammed with animals, robots, walking fruit, sea creatures, and more. The four roommates live in a treehouse, which sits in the middle of the city, surrounded by the forest, the seas and anywhere else the friends could possibly go.
- Pig (voiced by Matt L. Jones) – a dim-witted pig who has a large liking for pickles. Pig is the "fool" of the group and causes most of their problems. Pig is hardly able to read by himself. He says his catchphrase "that's my favorite!", often when he sees something or someone he likes. His name may be short for Pignatius. Pig is resistant to what would normally be life-threatening injuries.
- Goat (voiced by Candi Milo) – a sweet and cheerful goat woman who has been Pig's roommate for the past 29 years. She is the "artist" of the group being able to play the guitar and having a penchant for acting. Goat can be very easily irritated by others' antics and often displays anger, causing her to babble, speak gibberish, and occasionally puff up her chest when angry (e.g. "Flib flabbin' flibble flubbin!"). Her catchphrase is "Totally goatally", which she says when she agrees with something. Goat has normal human-shaped ears (not goat-shaped) normally obscured underneath the locks of hair on the sides of her head. The horns on top of her head have holes in them.
- Banana (voiced by Thomas F. Wilson) – a lazy, selfish banana who enjoys playing video games. He has boy scouts for henchmen. Banana is the "wise-guy" of the group who loves to have fun and pull pranks. Banana is afraid of primates, because they eat his kind. Banana tends to cry when put into pressure but quickly stops. He says his catchphrase "Sweet mama's monkeys" when he is surprised or shocked, and "simpledy doo" after finishing a task.
- Cricket (voiced by Paul Rugg) – a cricket who is a genius inventor and speaks with a lisp. Cricket is the "brains" of the group. He is also the most responsible of the four and usually is forced to clean up their messes. Cricket has a crush on Goat, and while she has hugged him (and Banana/Pig simultaneously) and said she loves him, this can simply be behavior towards a pal. He sometimes says "Holy laser farts", when he is surprised or shocked.
- Burgerstein, Cricket's lab assistant (voiced by John DiMaggio). He has a burger for a head and is made up of machines and other things. As his name implies, he is based on Frankenstein's Monster. He is called a "burgerbrain" by Cricket often, and Burgerstein makes grunting or blabbles to express his intentions. In some episodes, Burgerstein temporailily becomes smart due to Cricket's inventions.
- Goat's reflection (voiced by Milo) is see in many episodes as Goat looks in the mirror often for self-admiration or grooming. She is eventually revealed to be a distinct entity, and she and Goat get into an argument when TJ gives the reflection the 'Customer of the Day' award even though it was Goat who got him a soufflé.
- Thomas Jefferson (later nicknamed TJ) debuts in "The Chronicles of Cutesachusetts" where he emerges from a nickel to battle Goat, and later saves the day by battling Lady Primavera. He later runs a smoothie café in "Zombie Broheims" where he prevents Goat from being Customer of the Day because he swore to hate her forever. While discussing cookies she made, he calls Betsy Ross a hag.
- Sleazy Beave (voiced by Jeff Bennett) – a male beaver who debuted in "Fudge-pocalypse". Sleazy Beave is open to pretty much anything as he is nearly homeless. He was willingly about to get married to Delooney Hamshank (by the force of Ma Hamshank) but was then pranked by Pig who was wearing the wedding outfit. He appears to have a secondary superhero personality named The Masked Maniac as well.
- Rasta Rat (voiced by Bennett) – Rasta Rat is a very laid-back rat who has dreadlocks and speaks in a Jamaican accent. He wears a green, red, and yellow beanie hat. A running gag is he constantly gets slammed onto the fourth wall.
- President of the Planet (voiced by James Adomian) – the dog who rules the entire planet. He can be a noble person when he wants to be, but can also be quite brute and honest in his opinions, like when he told Goat that her superpower was complete garbage without a second thought in "Super Space Meatball".
- Junior Rangers (voiced by Candi Milo, Yuri Lowenthal and Maile Flanagan) – the Junior Rangers are the "boy scout" division of the Boopelite park rangers. They are a group of children varying in species who do various activities like real life Boy Scouts. They are watched over by Banana, who often lazes on the job. Some of the rangers do work for Banana that differs from normal activities, such as pranking the Hamshanks or rescuing Banana from Big Ballah Koala.
- Ranger Rhino (voiced by Bennett) – a rhinoceros who is in charge of the Junior Rangers. He often tells off Banana for not doing his duty but still has a soft spot for him, such as in "Wheelbarrow Full of Nachos" he asks Banana to hang out with him.
- Breakfast Burrito (voiced by John DiMaggio) – a very lazy burrito. For example, in "The Chronicles of Cutesachusetts", Banana simply asked him to put away a jar of peanut butter, only for him to immediately sit on his couch and fall asleep.
- Armpit Willy (voiced by DiMaggio) – an alligator who wears a beanie and has thick, long armpit hairs. His catchphrase is "bushy bushy".
- Lady Primavera Van de Snuggles (voiced by Dyana Liu) debuts in "The Chronicles of Cutesachusetts" and returns in "Gauntlet of Humiliation", where she makes a cameo appearance by visiting Armpit Willy at his pool when Pig makes a fast food delivery to him.
- Matt L. Jones – Pig, He So Crazy Squirrel, Dog Truck, Mama Cart, Cart Pups
- Candi Milo – Goat, JR Tom, JR Kyle, Owl Woman Lady, Back-up Singers, Geek, Dakota, Additional Voices
- Thomas F. Wilson – Banana, Bodybuilder, Chef, Beefy Teamster #2, Additional Voices
- Paul Rugg – Cricket, Cricket's Brain, Pickle Statue, Man with Tie, Aide (1), Aide (2), Additional Voices
- Kurtwood Smith – Angry Old Raisin
- Jeff Bennett – Rasta Rat, Pirate Leader, Sleazy Beave, Angler Fish, Mr. Manelli, Ranger Rhino, Pickle Mascot, Time Donut, Doctor, Clerk McGuirk, Banana's Brothers, Additional Voices
- Vanessa Marshall – JR Kyle, Melba, Mary Louise Pizzagut, Woman, Angry Old Raisin's Mother, Additional Voices
- Maile Flanagan – JR Barton, JR Elephant, Clerk, Dino Lady, Bruce, Additional Voices
- John DiMaggio – Pig's Dad, Ranger Rhino, Burgerstein, Armpit Willy, Bank Robber, Breakfast Burrito, Additional Voices
- Tom Kenny – Pig's Mom, Quandarious Cooch, Gunk Knuckler, Steve, Earthworm
- James Adomian – President of the Planet, Mailbox, Baby Hamshank Demon, Head Zombie, Digestive Enzymes, Additional Voices
- Fred Tatasciore – Thomas Jefferson, Mold, Ranger Rex, Weightlifter, Talking Pickle, Jehosephat, Additional Voices
- Justin Roiland – Psychopath Giraffe, Radical Rick, Customer
- Carl Faruolo – That's Messed Up Son Koala, Broccoli, Sun (1), Wanda, Additional Voices
- Nika Futterman – Junior Ranger, Fan on Bus, Sun (2), Girl (3), Mariachi Possum
- Yuri Lowenthal – JR Sneezy, Prince Mermeow of Catlantis, Awesome Shoes, Fox
- Grey Griffin – Sleeping Kid
- Eric Bauza – Avacado, Mantis, Cow
- Eric Edelstein – Timmy, Painting #2, Painting #3
- Echo Kellum – Guitar, Lil' Doctor Dirty
- Rob Paulsen – Early Bird, Cousin Eel, Hands, Barbershop Quartet, Jebediah, Nice Dog, Co-Worker, Townsperson #1
- Danny Jacobs – Barbershop Quartet, Cuddles, Jr., Lasagna, Townperson #2
- James Urbaniak – Nose Picker Fish
- Dyana Liu – Lady Primavera Van de Snuggles, Tiny Goosey, B-Girl
- Debra Wilson – Nasty Cat, Mrs. Manelli, Lady Fart, Nerd #1
- Nolan North – Lipstick Horse, P. Pickles Pickleman, Boy, Whale, Penguin, Santa, Big Balla Koala, Additional Voices
- Gary Anthony Williams – DJ Wheelbarrow Full of Nachos, Tubey Dude Stand, Cyborg, Coach McGinty, Additional Voices
- Kari Wahlgren – Ashley, Ranger Mom, Miss Smileybells, Tofu Jones, Wheat Germ, Sissy Salad, Additional Voices
- Mo Collins – Owl Contestant, Feral Ann, Sally Salad, Beautiful Woman
- Maria Bamford – Delooney, Ma Hamshank, B.A.R.F.
- Mindy Sterling – Brainy Jane, Brainy Jane's Brain
- Danny Trejo – Filthy the Foot
- Dylan Saunders – Tooth, Fortune Cookie, Guy (1)
- Patton Oswalt – Jimmy Ron Cricket
- Ashly Burch – Lila Twinklepipes, Sorority Girl #1
- Johnny Ryan – Alexander Hamilton, Brando, School Bus
- Peter Giles – Wagon, Criminal, Zit
- Jessie Francis – Pilow Carpenter
- Sirena Irwin – Shlaverne Difozifini, Statue of Liberty, Banana's Mom & Sisters, Tina Towel
- Bill Fagerbakke – Banana's Dad
- Diedrich Bader – Tony Towel
- David Cross – Thaddeus D. Actwell
- "Weird Al" Yankovic – Mr. Ding-a-Ling
- David Cronenberg – Dr. Cronenbird
- Artt Butler – Orion, Plaintain, Prisoner, Space Technician
- Cosmo Segurson – Louis Cluck
- Robert Englund – Lost Larry, Hockey Mask
Developed from Pig Goat Banana Mantis!, a pilot directed by the independent animator Nick Cross, the stories were described by Ryan as difficult to write, given their intertwined nature and the 11-minute running time. This process was smoothened by the running time being doubled and the direction from the network being clarified. The two had to adjust to the studio environment, and described their career in comics as preparing them for production.:28 Jones, Milo, and Wilson reprise their roles from the original short, with Mantis (voiced by Paul Rugg), who had been previously voiced by James Urbaniak, retooled as Cricket due to a character of the same name in Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, another Nickelodeon show.
The series tends to go back and forth between hand-drawn animation and Adobe Flash animation.
The series was picked up for a second season prior to its premiere.
Ratings for the series were initially favorable. However, ratings began to experience a steep drop season (as an example, the episode "Mall Ya Later" only pulled in 0.79 million viewers) and the last episode aired on Nickelodeon, "It's Time to Slumber Party", was only viewed by 0.95 million viewers. Only the first season of the show aired on Nickelodeon.
Move to Nicktoons
Following the broadcast of "It's Time to Slumber Party" on February 26, 2016, Nickelodeon removed the series from its schedule and the status of the show remained in limbo for 7 months until it was announced in September 2016 that the second season of the series would be moved to sister network Nicktoons on September 25, 2016. Season 2 episodes premiered on the Nicktoons network sporadically until May 31, 2017. 3 remaining episodes were first aired in Poland in 2017 and eventually those episodes aired in the USA 1 year later on August 11, 2018.
|First aired||Last aired||Network|
|1||20||July 16, 2015||February 26, 2016||Nickelodeon|
|2||20||September 25, 2016||August 11, 2018||Nicktoons|
Broadcast and reception
The series premiered on October 10, 2015, on YTV and on October 18, 2015, on the original channel. In Australia and New Zealand, it premiered on Nickelodeon on October 3, 2016, in Asia, debuted on Disney XD on February 23, 2018. In the UK and Ireland, it was broadcast on Nicktoons on January 6, 2018. In Arabia, it aired on Nicktoons at launch.
The pilot, published by Cross and titled Pig Goat Banana Mantis!, was promoted to a Staff Pick on Vimeo. A writer for Juxtapoz praised the animation, calling it reminiscent for those of "the Ren and Stimpy generation". Andrew Wheeler of Comics Alliance noted that Ryan's billing as "J. Ryan" was likely to separate him from his controversial reputation in the underground comix scene. Heidi MacDonald of the Comics Beat wrote that it looked "wonderful".
- Reece Ristau. "[WATCH] Nickelodeon's 'Pig Boat Banana Cricket': First Look At Animated Series – Variety". Variety. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Candi Milo on Twitter: "Original record for the next season!! #NICKELODEON". Twitter.com.
- "YTV's New Fall Schedule is Full of Funny!" (Press release). Toronto: Corus Entertainment. September 24, 2015. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
Pig Goat Banana Cricket follows the absurd adventures of four best friends
- "Pig Goat Banana Cricket". YTV.com.
FOUR BEST FRIENDS. ONE WILD RIDE!
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 26, 2013). "Nickelodeon Orders Two Animated Series, Four Live-Action Pilots". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Let's Get Tiny". Pig Goat Banana Bricket. 4 minutes in.
Pig "I'm going to follow my dream and be the best blowhole in the history of blowholes, or my name isn't Pignatius Abalonea Plutonius the fourteenth."
Banana: (pauses after Pig screams and runs off) "..That's not his name."
- "Zombie Broheims". PGBC.
Stomach spears, fun!(pulling spears out through his stomach after eating pickles stuffed full of spear-wielding munchkin warriors who impaled him afterward)
- "Bananaland". PGBC. 11 minutes in. Goat: "I'm a one-woman band."
- "Bananaland". PGBC. 18 minutes in. (Pig's segment) Pig: Who?
Goat: Goat. You know, your roommate for the past twenty nine years?
Pig: Oh, that Goat.
- "Prank Thy Neighbor". PGBC.
- "The Most Beautiful Roach in the World". PGBC.
- "Let's Get Tiny". PGBC. 18 minutes in. "I'm Barton" .. "I'm Tom".
- "Bananaland". PGBC.
Walk it off, Tabitha
- McLean, Thomas J. (October 2014). "Rising Stars of Animation". Animation Magazine. n.p.: 28–31. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014.
- Metcalf, Mitch (January 19, 2016). "Top 150 Friday Cable Originals: January 15, 2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- Metcalf, Mitch (February 29, 2016). "SHOWBUZZDAILYS-Top 50 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finalese:2.26.2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "Pig Goat Banana Mantis! in Vimeo Staff Picks". Vimeo. August 15, 2012. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- Staff writer (January 30, 2013). "Pig Goat Banana Mantis!". Juxtapoz. High Speed Productions. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- McLean, Thomas J. (October 2014). "Nickelodeon 'Pig Goat Banana Cricket' Cartoon from Johnny Ryan and Dave Cooper". Comics Alliance. ScreenCrush Network. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- MacDonald, Heidi (September 27, 2013). "Johnny Ryan and Dave Cooper's 'Pig Goat Banana Cricket' will entertain innocent children on Nickelodeon". Comics Beat. The Beat. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.