Pike River, South Australia
|Population||56 (2016 census)|
|Established||16 March 2000|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)(floodplain)|
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||ACST (UTC+10:30)|
|LGA(s)||Renmark Paringa Council|
|Region||Murray and Mallee|
|State electorate(s)||Chaffey |
|Federal Division(s)||Barker |
Pike River is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located in the Riverland in the state’s east on the southern side of the Murray River about 210 kilometres (130 mi) north-east of the state capital of Adelaide and about 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) south-east of the municipal seat of Renmark.
Its name and boundaries were created on 16 October 2000.  The name is derived from Pike River, a stream which enters the Murray River from within the locality and which forms part of its southern boundary.
Pike River extends from the centre of the Murray River channel in the north-west to higher ground both in the south and in the east over a floodplain known in one source as the Pike River Basin and in another as the Pike Floodplain and which it shares with the localities of Mundic Creek and Paringa in the north.  Most of the floodplain located in what is now the locality was flooded by the 1956 Murray River flood and those parts existing as permanent water bodies are part of the nationally important wetland known as the Pike-Mundic Wetland Complex. Stanitzki Road (also known as the Loxton-Paringa Road) passes through the locality connecting it to both the Sturt Highway in the east and to the town of Loxton in the south-west as well as forming part of its western boundary.
Land use within Pike River consists of ‘primary production’ activities such as agriculture, fishing and sand mining, recreation activities concerned with watercraft, fishing and hunting, some residential use and irrigation. Land to the south of Stanitzki Road which is located on higher ground is zoned for ‘Primary Production’. Land to the north of Stanitzki Road which is located on the floodplain is either zoned as the ‘River Murray Flood Zone’ or the ‘River Murray Fringe Zone’ and is subject to statutory control for the purposes of “conservation and improvement of water quality” as per the requirements of the River Murray Act 2003.
- "Search result for Pike River, LOCB' with the following datasets selected - 'Local Government areas', 'SA Government Regions', 'Counties', 'Postcode', 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Roads' and 'Gazetteer'". Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Pike River". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991, Notice to Assign Boundaries and Names to Places (to areas within the District Council of Renmark Paringa)" (PDF), The South Australian Government Gazette: 1433, 16 March 2000, retrieved 27 March 2018
- "Postcode for Pike River, South Australia". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "Search result for Pike-Mundic Wetland Complex (SA047)". Australian Wetlands Database. Department of Environment and Energy, Australian Government. 10 May 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Electoral district of Chaffey". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Electoral division of Barker" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics Summary statistics RENMARK AERO (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Search result for Pike River, Stream' with the following datasets selected -'Suburbs and Localities' and 'Gazetteer'". Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Hollis, B.A.; Fordham, A.E.; Thompson R, .A. (January 2011). "Pike Implementation Plan. Report prepared for Department for Water" (PDF). The Department for Water, South Australia. p. 9. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Pike River Basin, listing on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 7859)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 21 October 1980. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Development Plan - Renmark Paringa Council, Consolidated – 31 October 2017" (PDF). South Australian Government. pp. 152, 171, 224, 275-279. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Search result for Pike River, LOCB' with the following datasets selected -'Suburbs and Localities', 'Land Development Plan Zone Categories' and 'Roads'". Retrieved 11 April 2018.