Pike Township, Stark County, Ohio
|Pike Township, Stark County, Ohio|
Location of Pike Township in Stark County
|• Total||31.9 sq mi (82.5 km2)|
|• Land||31.8 sq mi (82.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,119 ft (341 m)|
|• Density||128.5/sq mi (49.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086987|
Pike Township is one of the seventeen townships of Stark County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,088 people in the township, 3,282 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Canton Township - north
- Osnaburg Township - northeast corner
- Sandy Township - east
- Rose Township, Carroll County - southeast corner
- Sandy Township, Tuscarawas County - south
- Lawrence Township, Tuscarawas County - southwest
- Bethlehem Township - west
- Perry Township - northwest corner
The village of East Sparta is located in southeastern Pike Township.
Name and history
In 1806, George Young and his wife Catherine moved to what is now known as East Sparta, becoming the first permanent settlers of Pike Township. However, there are inconstancies in government and family records that instead put him in Pike in 1800, which would make him the first settler of Stark County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Stark County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Pike Township History". Pike Township Trustees. 2003. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- census data: 1820 : 1820 page 137, 1830 : Kilbourn, John (1831). The Ohio gazetteer: or, Topographical dictionary: describing the several ... in the State of Ohio. self. p. 332., 1840, 1880 : Howe, Henry (1907). Historical Collections of Ohio, The Ohio Centennial Edition. The State of Ohio. p. 285., 1850, 1860, 1870 : 1870 page 35, 1890, 1900 : Hunt, William C. (1901). Population of the United States by states and territories, counties, and minor Civil Divisions, as returned at the Twelfth Census: 1900. United States Census Printing Office. p. 318., 1910, 1920, 1930 : 1930 page 56, 1940, 1950 : 1950 page 21, 1960, 1970 : 1970 page 135, 1990 : 1990, 2000 : 2000, 2010 : Ohio Department of Development
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.