Pikky Ya France
|Full name||Helao Nafidi Ya France|
23 April 1990 |
Windhoek, Khomas Region, Namibia
Source: ESPNcricinfo, 23 June 2017
Helao Nafidi Ya France (born 23 April 1990) is a Namibian cricketer. He is known by his nickname Pikky (from the Afrikaans language). Ya France is a left-handed batsman who bowls right-arm slow. He was born in Windhoek, Khomas Region.
Having played for the Namibia Under-19 cricket team, whom he represented in the 2008 Under-19s Cricket World Cup, Ya France made his first-class debut for the senior team in March 2011. Ya France opened the batting in the 2010/11 CSA Provincial Three-Day Competition against Gauteng and scored 15 and 10. He made his List A the following day, and scored 13.
Ya France quickly established himself as a regular member of the side. He played in both one day matches in the tour of Ireland in July, and then took eight wickets at 12.25 in the 2011 ICC Africa Twenty20 Division One in Uganda.
2013: Racism controversy
In September, however, Ya France pulled out of the squad that travelled to Sharjah to play the United Arab Emirates in the ICC Intercontinental Cup. Ya France stated that he had been "constantly subjected to unfair treatment by the selectors" in being overlooked for selection in previous matches. Carlos Kambaekwa, writing for the New Era newspaper, criticized the team's "lily white lineup" and suggested that the Namibian cricket authorities were excluding and discouraging "cricketers of colour".
2015: Return to form
In April 2016, Ya France top scored for Namibia in both innings against Afghanistan in the ICC Intercontinental Cup. He made 46 and 40 as Namibia lost by an innings and 36 runs. Then in September he top-scored in Namibia's victory over Western Province in the 2016 Africa T20 Cup. Namibia lost both its remaining matches, but Ya France was his team's highest run-scorer in the tournament.
- "Pikky Ya France". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- CSA Provincial Three-Day Challenge, Gauteng v Namibia at Johannesburg, Mar 3-5, 2011. ESPN Cricinfo.
- CSA Provincial One-Day Challenge, Gauteng v Namibia at Johannesburg, Mar 6, 2011. ESPN Cricinfo.
- Records / ICC Africa Region Division One Twenty20, 2011 / Most wickets. ESPN Cricinfo.
- "Ya France, Snyman earn Namibia draw". ESPN Cricinfo. 26 September 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Twenty20 Quadrangular (in Namibia) - Final
- Kambaekwa, Carlos (23 September 2013). "Cricket again accused of racism". New Era. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "First-Class Matches played by Pikky Ya France". Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Twenty20 Matches played by Pikky Ya France". Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Schutz, Helge (19 October 2015). "Namibia: Young Team Shows Promise Against SWD". The Namibian. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- ICC Intercontinental Cup, Afghanistan v Namibia at Greater Noida, Apr 10-13, 2016
- Schutz, Helge (2 September 2016). "Namibia beat WP in Africa T20 Cup". The Namibian. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Records / Africa T20 Cup, 2016/17 / Most runs. ESPN Cricinfo.