The Seeds of Time
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Pillar to Post)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The collection contains:
- a foreword by John Wyndham
- "Chronoclasm", a time-travelling romantic comedy.
- "Time To Rest", depicting the life on Mars of a human survivor of the destruction of Earth.
- "Meteor", in which alien visitors to Earth find themselves on a very different scale to humans.
- "Survival", set on a spacecraft marooned in orbit around Mars. A BBC Radio 4 adaption was broadcast in 1989 with Nicholas Courtney. It was released as an Audiobook in 2007 with the 1981 version of The Chrysalids.
- "Pawley's Peepholes", another time travel story, this time playing it as comedy.
- "Opposite Number", which plays with the concept of parallel universes.
- "Pillar To Post" The central character is a paraplegic who was badly injured in a road accident. Frequently taking drugs to cope with the pain, he finds himself in a healthy body very far in the future. A complex plot of body-swapping and time travel ensues. It is considered by some people to be the best story in the collection.
- "Dumb Martian", a satire on racism, featuring an Earthman who buys a Martian wife.
- "Compassion Circuit", a horror story on the subject of robotics.
- "Wild Flower", which explores the tension between nature and technology.
- www.dooyoo.co.uk (2006-07-03). "The Seeds of Time - John Wyndham - Review - Chronological Seedlings". Dooyoo.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-31.