Pilot (How I Met Your Mother)
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Carter Bays
|Original air date||September 19, 2005|
|Season 1 episodes|
|List of How I Met Your Mother episodes|
"Pilot" is the first episode of the television series How I Met Your Mother. It originally aired on September 19, 2005. The episode was written by Carter Bays & Craig Thomas and directed by Pamela Fryman.
The episode (and series) begins in 2030 with an older Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) telling his children the story of how he met their mother. The story begins in 2005, with Ted's best friend and roommate Marshall Eriksen (Jason Segel) proposing to his girlfriend Lily Aldrin (Alyson Hannigan), prompting Ted to begin a search to find his own soulmate. At a pub called MacLarens, alongside his friend Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris), Ted meets budding news anchor Robin Scherbatsky (Cobie Smulders), with whom he is instantly smitten. Ted asks her out on a date, and the date is successful. The date concludes with Robin being called away for a news story.
Ted's friends tell him that he was supposed to kiss Robin before she left. Ted goes to Robin's house (“Suited up”, much to Barney's delight), with the company of Marshall, Lily and Barney. He stops at the restaurant of their first date and symbolically steals the blue French horn on the wall and continues on to Robin's apartment with the gang. Things are going great and they are about to kiss when Ted inexplicably and prematurely tells Robin that he loves her, thus destroying his chances with her. After a lingering goodbye, and with the afterthought that he may or may not have missed “the signal” (missing out for the second time on his first kiss with her), Future Ted tells his children that is the story of how he met their aunt Robin.
The episode introduces several of the show's storytelling tools, including the framing device of future Ted as the narrator, his children, and many flashbacks to the past, present, and future. Future Ted reveals early the ending of a possible relationship story when he tells his children that Robin is not the mother, but "Aunt Robin". When asked if he regretted revealing that Robin ultimately becomes Ted's platonic friend in the pilot episode, series creator Craig Thomas explains they stick by the decision because they didn't want the show to be about "will they or won't they" like Friends and that, despite their chemistry, it would have been "criminal" for Ted to decide he was ready to find someone and to have it happen so quickly. He and cocreator Carter Bays said that the show is about how "Ted meets the perfect woman, and it’s [still] not his final love story."
Barney's blog first appeared with this episode.
- Theme Song: The Solids - "Hey Beautiful"
- Otis Redding - "Cigarettes and Coffee"
- Kool Blues - "I Want to Be Ready'
- The Pretenders - "Back on the Chain Gang"
- Barney tells Ted that his suiting up will be going in Barney's blog; it is indeed the first entry made in the blog and in the same entry, he talks of his new love of Lebanese girls.
In its original American broadcast, the pilot of How I Met Your Mother was watched by 10.94 million viewers and averaged a 3.9 rating among A18-49.
Seth Thrasher gave the episode 5/5 saying: "...this is one of the funniest sitcoms I’ve seen in a LONG, LONG time". He also said that Harris' character blew him away "I never realized Neil Patrick Harris was so damned funny. His character, Barney, is quite possibly the funniest new sitcom character to debut on television in ages" and that the rest of the cast was great too."
Brian Lowry of Variety said that it was a "bright" and "cleverly constructed" half-hour. "It’s not often that a pilot has the polished feel of a show that’s been around for a while, but How I Met Your Mother should be a solid bridge between King of Queens and the aforementioned Two and a Half Men."
- Maureen Ryan as a person (April 27, 2006). "Craig Thomas: 'Sitcoms used to be about something'". Chicago Tribune.
- Stransky, Tanner (2013-05-13). "'HIMYM' unveils the mother! The creators answer your burning questions -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- according to audio commentary at 00:58 min. of the HIMYM - Season 1 DVD
- Stinson, Barney (2006-09-14). "Ted Suits Up!". Archived from the original on 2005-11-24. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "ABC in the end zone". Variety. Retrieved September 20, 2005.
- "How I Met Your Mother reviews". Metacritic.com. Retrieved October 31, 2009.
- Thrasher, Seth. "TITLE: HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER - CBS 2005". Sitcoms online. Retrieved September 16, 2005.
- Lowry, Brian. "Review: "How I Met Your Mother"". Variety. Retrieved September 18, 2005.