15 July 1938 (age 83)
Pilot Baba is a revered Indian spiritual guru who have previously been Wing Commander Kapil Singh, a fighter pilot with the Indian Air Force. Pilot Baba has established a number of Ashrams and spiritual centers in India and abroad.
Early life and career
Kapil Singh claims to have been commissioned in the Indian Air Force as a fighter pilot in 1957. He also claims to have participated in the Sino-Indian War of 1962, the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 and the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 wars, rising to the rank of Wing Commander.
Leaving the IAF and transformation
During the Sino-Indian War of 1962 Kapil Singh was flying a MiG aircraft in the North-East of India also known as NEFA when his aircraft lost control. Radio contact with his base was also broken and he was believed lost.
According to Pilot Baba, Kapil's spiritual guru, Hari Baba, appeared in his cockpit and guided him to land his fighter aircraft safely.
This event became a turning point in young Kapil's life and ten years later, at the age of 33, he retired from the Air Force to pursue his spiritual life.
Controversial spiritual career
Pilot Baba is known for his claim to enter lengthy samadhi, or death-like bodily states, often under the ground. He is also accused of using trickery to deceive people into believing that he can survive days without oxygen underground or underwater or in a sealed container. In one instance, he made another guru named Khareshwari Baba stand underground for 10 days, resulting in the latter's death while collecting a lot of money from the spectacle.
Pilot Baba and his followers have set up ashrams (spiritual retreats or meditation centres) in both India and other countries.
Ashrams in India include:
Ashrams in other countries include:
Books written by Pilot Baba include:
- Kailash Mansarovar
- Pearls of Wisdom
- Discover Secrets of The Himalaya
- Antaryatra' The Inner Journey (2 volumes)
- Pilgrimage from You to Yourself
- Himalayan kah raha hai (2 volumes)
- Geeta Pandey (18 January 2007). "The ex-pilot reborn as a guru". BBC News, Allahabad. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Amitava Sanyal; "Pilot Baba on his mastery of death", Hindustan Times, 14 January 2007 (retrieved 29 April 2018)
- Kunal Verma; "Pilot Baba: From air force wing commander to sanyas", India Today, 15 February 1984. (retrieved 29 April 2018)
- Going Underground with Pilot Baba
- Pilot Baba's Ashram, pilotbaba.org
- "Amazon.com: Mahayogi Pilot Baba: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 29 April 2018.