Pilot Point, Texas
Pointing the way since 1845
|• Total||4.35 sq mi (11.27 km2)|
|• Land||4.35 sq mi (11.26 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||696 ft (212 m)|
|• Density||1,040.71/sq mi (401.78/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2411421|
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen climate classification, Pilot Point has a humid subtropical climate, Cfa on climate maps.
|Black or African American (NH)||134||3.06%|
|Native American or Alaska Native (NH)||40||0.91%|
|Pacific Islander (NH)||7||0.16%|
|Some Other Race (NH)||7||0.16%|
|Hispanic or Latino||1,497||34.17%|
The city is governed by an elected council. A separately elected mayor presides over the governing body and also may cast a vote on matters before the council. The city does not currently have a mayor, following Mayor McIlravy's arrest on June 21, 2022, although the Mayor Pro Tempore will be sworn in as mayor soon. Council members and the mayor serve without any compensation pursuant to a Home Rule Charter that was approved by voters in 2009. An appointed city manager oversees daily operations of various city services and functions. Elections each May determine occupants of alternating seats on the council and the mayor is elected biannually.
- Frederick Edgar Ferguson, Medal of Honor recipient, born in Pilot Point
- Colt Knost, PGA golfer, grew up in Pilot Point, state champion in 2003
- G.A. Moore, Texas High School Football coach, member of the University of North Texas Athletic Hall of Fame and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame
- Thomas Ambrose Tschoepe, Roman Catholic bishop, born in Pilot Point
The city is served by the Pilot Point Independent School District.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Pilot Point, Texas
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Pilot Point city, Texas". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Pilot Point city, Texas". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Climate Summary for Pilot Point, Texas
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2022-05-22.
- https://www.census.gov/[not specific enough to verify]
- "About the Hispanic Population and its Origin". www.census.gov. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- "Pilot Point Mayor Arrested on Charge of Soliciting a Minor". NBC DFW. Retrieved 2022-06-22.
- City of Pilot Point official website
- Lisa C. Maxwell, "PILOT POINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hgp04), accessed May 28, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.