Pine Ridge, South Dakota
|Pine Ridge, South Dakota
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.1 km2)|
|• Land||3.1 sq mi (7.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||3,241 ft (988 m)|
|• Density||1,067.1/sq mi (418.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||1265681|
Pine Ridge (Lakota: wazíbló) is a census-designated place (CDP) and the most populous community in Oglala Lakota County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 3,308 at the 2010 census. It is the tribal headquarters of the Oglala Sioux Tribe on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.2 km²), of which, 3.1 square miles (7.9 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (2.54%) is water.
Pine Ridge has been assigned the ZIP code 57770.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,171 people, 688 households, and 593 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,035.4 people per square mile (400.1/km²). There were 742 housing units at an average density of 242.3 per square mile (93.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.20% Native American, 3.72% White, 0.09% African American, 0.03% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 1.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.80% of the population.
There were 688 households out of which 53.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 32.1% were married couples living together, 40.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.8% were non-families. 10.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.40 and the average family size was 4.63.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 46.9% under the age of 18, 11.0% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 12.4% from 45 to 64, and 3.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 20 years. For every 100 females there were 100.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $21,089, and the median income for a family was $20,170. Males had a median income of $26,875 versus $25,516 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $6,067. About 49.2% of families and 61.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 74.6% of those under age 18 and 18.8% of those age 65 or over.
- SuAnne Big Crow, high school basketball star, leader of state championship team
- Russell Means (1939-2012), American Indian Movement leader, activist and actor
- Billy Mills, born here, won the 10,000 meter gold medal at the 1964 Olympics
- Bobby Robertson, NFL player
- "Pine Ridge". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Ullrich, Jan F. (2014). New Lakota Dictionary (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Lakota Language Consortium. ISBN 978-0-9761082-9-0.
- South Dakota Office of Tribal Government Relations Retrieved on 2009-02-08.
- Peterson, E. Frank (1904). Historical Atlas of South Dakota, Containing State and County Maps, Geologic Maps, Statistical Charts, Geography, Geology, History, Descriptive Notes, Tables, Etc. Vermillion, South Dakota. p. 3.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pine Ridge, South Dakota.|