|Founder||Anonymous / "Pine"|
The Pineapple Fund was a philanthropic project by an anonymous individual which gave away 5,057 bitcoins to 60 charities. The amount was valued at $86 million in December 2017. Some of the themes supported were medical research, environmental conservation, human rights and psychedelic therapy.
The Pineapple Fund was announced with a post on reddit on December 14, 2017. The individual used the pseudonym "Pine", and explained that "My aims, goals, and motivations in life have nothing to do with [..] being the mega rich. So I'm doing something else: donating the majority of my bitcoins to charitable causes".
The individual behind the fund has remained pseudonymous, but says they have been involved in Bitcoin since the early days. In an interview with Forbes, the individual says they suffer from borderline personality disorder, and made the decision to start the Pineapple Fund after undergoing experimental ketamine IV therapy which had a substantial improvement.
An application form was made available on the website, open to all charities around the world. Speaking to the magazine Philanthropy, the founder said that more than 10,000 applications were received.
After five months, a total of 5,104 bitcoins were donated and liquidated for a value of $55 million after exchange rate volatility.
The fund has also donated $1 million or more to the following organizations:
- Internet Archive
- The Water Project
- Methuselah Foundation 
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- SENS Research Foundation, which also received donations from Vitalik Buterin
- Charity: Water
- Mona Foundation
- Pencils of Promise
- The Focus Foundation
- Free Software Foundation
- Sustainable Ocean Alliance
- Roose, Kevin (27 December 2017). "Some Things About Tech Were Good in 2017. No, Really" – via NYTimes.com.
- "Pineapple Fund". pineapplefund.org. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Bitcoin philanthropist sets up $85M investment fund to support charities". The Next Web. 14 December 2017.
- Guo, Eileen (17 December 2017). "Can the $86 Million "Pineapple Fund" Save the Soul of Bitcoin?". Inverse.
- Coren, Michael. "A bitcoin millionaire's fortune will fund psychedelic research, a cure for aging, and clean water". Quartz.
- Prisco, Giulio (15 December 2017). "Meet "Pine," the Bitcoin Philanthropist Who Set Up the $85 Million Pineapple Fund". Bitcoin Magazine.
- Murphy, David (17 December 2017). "'Pineapple Fund' Giving Away $86 Million in Bitcoins to Charity". PC Magazine.
- Schroeder, Stan. "Bitcoin tycoon promises to give away $86 million worth of bitcoins to charity". Mashable. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Ferenstein, Gregory. "Bitcoin Mega-Philanthropist 'Pineapple' Talks About Psychedelic Research". Forbes. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- Lindsay, Drew. "'It Just Felt Like a Miracle': Small Groups Win Big in Bitcoin Donor's $56 Million Giving Spree". Philanthropy. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- Tahir, Habiba. "$55 Million: Pineapple Fund Bids Farewell after Making Final Anonymous Donation". Yahoo Finance. CCN. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- Weller, Chris. "The world's largest basic income experiment just received a $5 million donation in bitcoin". Business Insider.
- "PRESS RELEASE: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS". MAPS. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Bitcoin-Only Charity Fund Donates $1 Mln To Internet Archive". Cointelegraph.
- "The Pineapple Fund Donates Millions to the Organ Preservation Alliance and Methuselah Foundation". Fight Aging!. 2018-01-29. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- Busby, Mattha (2017-12-24). "Pineapple Fund: why is an anonymous bitcoin millionaire giving away $86m?". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "MAPS Receives Over $1,000,000 in Bitcoin from Cryptocurrency Philanthropist". MAPS. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Ferenstein, Gregory. "Mysterious Bitcoin Philanthropist Donated $1M To Psychedelic Research". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "SRF Receives $1M BTC from the Pineapple Fund". SENS Research Foundation. 2017-12-16. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Dextrixhe, John. "Crypto millionaires are funding research to reverse the aging process". Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- "Mona Foundation". www.monafoundation.org. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Story, New (23 December 2017). "Christmas came a little early this year in the form of an incredibly generous $1M bitcoin donation from the Pineapple Fund! We're so grateful for the support!". @NewStoryCharity. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Quill (2018-01-04). "Quill.org Receives a $1 Million Donation from the Pineapple Fund to Teach Critical Thinking to 10…". Medium. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Free Software Foundation (fsf)'s status on Monday, 29-Jan-2018 21:32:45 UTC".
- Free Software Foundation receives $1 million donation from Pineapple Fund, 2018-01-30
- Coldewey, Devin (14 February 2018). "Pineapple Fund drops $1M on the Sustainable Ocean Alliance and its new accelerator". techcrunch.com. United States of America: TechCrunch. Retrieved 14 February 2018.