Pinehurst, Montgomery County, Texas
|• Total||9.0 sq mi (23 km2)|
|• Land||9.0 sq mi (23 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||510/sq mi (200/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Pinehurst is located at (30.178614, -95.696303).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 9.0 square miles (23.4 km2), all of it land.
A post office was first established in the area in 1860 under the name, "Prairie Home." In 1871, its name was changed to Hunter's Retreat. In 1904, after the railroad was built, the town's name was changed to Pinehurst.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 4,624 people, 1,542 households, and 1,208 families residing in the CDP. The racial makeup of the CDP was 81.5% White, 1.4% African American, 1.5% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 12.9% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 29.8% of the population.
There were 1,542 households, out of which 33.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.3% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.7% were non-families. 17.2% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 3.00 and the average family size was 3.37.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 27.6% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36.9 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
As of the 2015 American Community Survey, The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,690, and the median income for a family was $51,817. Males had a median income of $35,344 versus $15,380 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,124. About 24.2% of families and 30.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 51.9% of those under age 18 and 0.0% of those age 65 or over.
Census-designated places like Pinehurst are not official locations beyond their use by the Census Bureau, and therefore do not have their own municipal government. All local governance of the CDP is instead administered by Montgomery County, Precinct 2. The current commissioner is Charlie Riley.
In the Texas Senate, Pinehurst is in District 4, represented by Republican Brandon Creighton. In the Texas House of Representatives, Pinehurst is in District 3, represented by Republican Cecil Bell Jr.
In the United States Senate, Republicans John Cornyn and Ted Cruz represent the entire state of Texas. In the United States House of Representatives, Pinehurst is in District 8, represented by Republican Kevin Brady.
Pinehurst students zoned to Magnolia ISD will attend the following schools:
- Depending on their address, K-5th grade students will attend either Williams Elementary School, Magnolia Elementary School, or Lyon Elementary School.
- 6th grade students attend Magnolia 6th Grade Campus.
- 7-8th grade students attend Magnolia Junior High School.
- 9-12th grade students attend Magnolia West High School.
Pinehurst students zoned to Tomball ISD will attend the following schools:
- K-4th grade students attend Decker Prairie Elementary School.
- 5-6th grade students attend Tomball Intermediate School.
- 7-8th grade students attend Tomball Junior High School.
- 9-12th grade students attend Tomball High School.
- Factfinder: Pinehurst CDP, Texas. Archived 2020-02-13 at archive.today United States Census Bureau. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Branch, Will. Pinehurst, TX (Montgomery County) Handbook of Texas Online: June 15, 2010. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Geographic Terms and Concepts: Place. United States Census Bureau. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Commissioner Precinct 2. Montgomery County, Texas. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Cities and Designated Places: Senate District 4. Texas Legislative Council. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Cities and Designated Places: House District 3. Texas Legislative Council. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- 8th District. U.S. Congressman Kevin Brady. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Find Locations: Pinehurst, TX. United States Postal Service. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Attendance Zones. Magnolia Independent School District. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Attendance Zones. Tomball Independent School District. Accessed on July 10, 2017.
- Texas Education Code, Sec. 130.191. LONE STAR COLLEGE SYSTEM DISTRICT SERVICE AREA..