Pinetree Secondary School
|Pinetree Secondary School|
|3000 Pinewood Ave
Coquitlam, British Columbia, V3B 7Y7
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||"A C T"
(Accepting Challenges Together)
|School board||School District 43 Coquitlam|
|Principal||Mr. Jeremy Clarke|
|Enrollment||1501 (January 16, 2006)|
|Colour(s)||Black, Blue, Silver and Green|
|Newspaper||The Pinetree Post|
Pinetree Secondary School is a high school in School District 43 Coquitlam. It is located in Coquitlam, British Columbia, and has an enrollment of about 1500 students. Pinetree offers its students a variety of school-time and extra-curricular activities.
Located across from Lafarge Park and next to the David Lam Campus of Douglas College, Pinetree is unique in that it shares its site and part of the facility with both Coquitlam Parks and Leisure Services and Douglas College. This three-way partnership has enabled all partner groups to benefit from cost sharing in the creation of exceptional physical education facilities.
Pinetree offers a wide range of courses in Mathematics, Science, Humanities, and Arts. In addition to regular courses it offers an Honours pathway in each of these departments. The Honours pathway starts at Grade 9 and develops into Advanced Placement and/or Independent Directed Studies courses.
In the 2006-2007 year, Pinetree's grade 9 basketball team were the provincial champions, while Pinetree's Junior tennis team were the Fraser Valley champions.
For 10 consecutive years, the Pinetree Senior Badminton Team placed in the top 8 of the province. During this decade of Pinetree's dominance at provincials, they placed 1st overall in 2010, 2nd in 2011, and 3rd three times.
Pinetree offers a range of musical opportunities such as Junior/Senior Concert Band, Junior/Senior Jazz Band, Concert Choir and Vocal Jazz/Show Choir. Courses such as Musical Composition and Guitar are also offered. Concerts are held throughout the year, including the annual Ensembles Night, Fall/Winter/Spring Concerts, and Final concerts. The department also holds an award ceremony, congratulating students for a job well done during the year they were in the department.
Drama is offered in Pinetree's Treehouse Theatre. Students may expand their performance ability by participating in school plays or in the school's award-winning improv team, Code Orange. The shows put on by the drama department sometimes feature pit bands, singing/dancing performances and audience interaction.
Pinetree's student body also releases a monthly newspaper called The Pinetree Post that is completely student run.
- Doug Lynch - former NHL player
- Tyler Johnston - actor
- Alexz Johnson - singer/songwriter/actress
- Michael Cuccione - singer/songwriter/actor
- "Advanced Placement/Honours Program" (PDF).
- "CANADIAN NATIONAL MATHEMATICS LEAGUE January 2008 High School Score Report Summary".
- "The Mandelbrot Competition http://web.mandelbrot.org/dynamic/standings/?league=regional®ion=1&group=team&year=2008". External link in
- "The Mandelbrot Competition 2009-2010 Results: Western/Int'l Region".
- "BC Secondary School Mathematics Contest 2010 Report to the BCCUPM".
- "Euclid Contest 2010 Results" (PDF). Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "BC Gr 9 Boys Basketball". 2006-10-07.
- IMDB: Tyler Johnston Retrieved on 17 April 2009
- CTV News: 'The Odds' actor takes Tom Cruise comparisons in stride 29 February 2012