Piney Pinecreek Border Airport
|Operator||Piney/Pinecreek Border Airport Commission|
|Location||Canada–United States border|
|Time zone||CST (UTC−06:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC−05:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||1,082 ft / 330 m|
Piney Pinecreek Border Airport (ICAO: K48Y, FAA LID: 48Y, TC LID: K48Y) is a public use airport located 2 nautical miles (3.7 km; 2.3 mi) northwest of the central business district of Pinecreek, in Dieter Township, Roseau County, Minnesota, United States, on the Canada–US border. It is owned by the Minnesota Department of Transportation. It is shared by the rural communities of Piney, Manitoba and Pinecreek, Minnesota.
Also known as Pinecreek/Piney Pinecreek Border Aerodrome, it is one of six airports that cross the Canada–US border, the only one with a paved runway, and the easternmost. The other airports, east to west, are International Peace Garden Airport, Coronach/Scobey Border Station Airport, Coutts/Ross International Airport, Whetstone International Airport (Del Bonita/Whetstone International Airport), and Avey Field State Airport.
The airport, located at  was originally located entirely within the United States. Needing to extend the runway, the owners found it could not be extended south due to a nearby road, but the land to the immediate north was unused. After arrangements were made with Canadian and Manitoba authorities, the runway was extended across the 49th parallel.,
The airport, located in Manitoba and Minnesota, has both United States and Canada customs services and is attractive to tourists, hunters and fishermen. Ground access is available on Manitoba Highway 89 and Minnesota State Highway 89.
The airport is classified as an airport of entry by Nav Canada and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). CBSA officers at this airport can handle general aviation aircraft only, with no more than 15 passengers.
Facilities and aircraft
Piney Pinecreek Border Airport covers an area of 61 acres (25 ha) at an elevation of 1,082 ft (330 m) above mean sea level. It has one asphalt paved runway designated 15/33 which measures 3,297 by 75 ft (1,005 by 23 m). For the 12-month period ending May 31, 2011, the airport had 3,000 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 250 per month.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 48Y ( PDF)
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 3 January 2019 to 0901Z 28 February 2019.
- Some US sources indicate CJX2 as the code. However, the CFS uses K48Y and as of the current edition there is no airport in Canada using CJX2
- "Chapter 5: The 49th Parallel". United Divide: A Linear Portrait of the USA/Canada Border. The Center for Land Use Interpretation. Winter 2015.
- "Piney - Pinecreek Border Airport" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21. (209 KB) at Minnesota DOT Airport Directory
- Resources for this airport: