Pingree Grove, Illinois
|Area||3.67 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- land||3.67 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||201.3/sq mi (78/km2)|
|Village President||Steve Weidmeyer|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code||847 and 224|
|Wikimedia Commons: Pingree Grove, Illinois|
Pingree Grove is a village in Kane County, Illinois, United States. The population was 124 at the 2000 census. However, rapid development in recent years has resulted in explosive growth, and the 2010 census indicated 4,532 residents. In the next decade, the population is expected to reach 15,000 as farmlands are developed into new housing units. Pingree Grove is becoming known as a "Green Town", being environmentally friendly.
Pingree Grove is located at (42.066175, -88.415412).
According to the 2010 census, Pingree Grove has a total area of 3.67 square miles (9.51 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 124 people, 50 households, and 35 families residing in the village. The population density was 201.3 people per square mile (77.2/km²). There were 52 housing units at an average density of 84.4 per square mile (32.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.19% White, 0.81% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.03% of the population.
There were 50 households out of which 18.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.0% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 26.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the village the population was spread out with 16.9% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 19.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 90.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.1 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $45,313, and the median income for a family was $50,625. Males had a median income of $56,250 versus $26,071 for females. The per capita income for the village was $23,396. None of the population and none of the families were below the poverty line.
On February 10, 2010, Pingree Grove and the surrounding areas experienced an earthquake. The shock had a moment magnitude of 3.8 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of IV (Light). It was felt 214 km (134 miles) away in Madison, Wisconsin. When the quake was first reported, it was thought Sycamore was the epicenter. However, revised data from the USGS determined the epicenter to be closer to Virgil. This was the first earthquake in Northern Illinois since a M4.2 (intensity V (Moderate)) event in 2004.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- USGS. "M3.8 - Illinois". United States Geological Survey.
- USGS. "M4.2 - Illinois". United States Geological Survey.
- "Refuse & Recycling". Village of Pingree Grove.