Pingu in the City
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Pingu in the City|
|ピングー in ザ・シティ|
(Pingū in za Shiti)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Naomi Iwata|
|Written by||Shigenori Tanabe|
|Music by||Ken Arai|
|Studio||Dandelion Animation Studios|
|Original run||October 7, 2017 – March 30, 2019|
Pingu in the City (Japanese: ピングー in ザ・シティ, Hepburn: Pingū in za Shiti) is a Japanese computer-animated television series produced by Polygon Pictures and Dandelion Animation Studios in collaboration with Mattel Creations. It is based on the stop-motion television series Pingu by HIT Entertainment and The Pygos Group. The series first aired on all NHK stations in Japan from October 2017 to March 30, 2019.
The series is adapted from the famous British-Swiss animated series Pingu created in 1986 by Otmar Gutmann. In the series, Pingu and his family move from their home in the Antarctic to a large city, where the inhabitants are all very different. The mischievous and curious Pingu makes a big effort to help the citizens with their jobs, but often messes up.
The series was produced by Polygon Pictures in the same style of the original stop-motion series through computer animation. It was directed by Naomi Iwata and written by both Kimiko Ueno and Shigenori Tanabe, with music by Ken Arai. It features voices by Ryota Iwasaki and Fumiya Tanaka, in a similar style to Carlo Bonomi, David Sant and Marcello Magni, who voiced characters in the original series.
The series was first screened outside of Japan at the MIPJunior 2017 event at Cannes. The series will be distributed by Sony Creative in North America and Mattel in China.[better source needed] In Australia, the show premiered on June 4, 2018 on ABC Kids, making that date Pingu's return to Australian television. In the United States, the show was first screened at the Chicago International Television Festival and the 2018 Animation Block Party. A second season premiered from October 6, 2018 (which was before the 1st anniversary of the show) to March 30, 2019. In the United Kingdom, the show premiered on February 25, 2019 on ITVBe's preschool block LittleBe. In Brazil the show premiered in April 2019 through the preschool channel Gloobinho.
- "ピングー：新作テレビアニメは初のオールCG ポリゴン・ピクチュアズ制作" [Pingu: new TV show is the first all-CG Polygon Pictures production]. Mantanweb (in Japanese). 4 September 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Ressler, Karen (4 September 2017). "Polygon Pictures Makes New Anime for Swiss Character Pingu". Anime News Network. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- "Pingu moves to the big city". MIPJunior Preview. September 2017. p. 14. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Brioux, Bill (15 October 2017). "Pingu packs MIP Junior without so much as a peep". Brioux.tv. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- Corporation), NHK(Japan Broadcasting. "AWARD-WINNING PROGRAMS". www6.nhk.or.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-08-16.
- "Animation Block Party Full 2018 Lineup Revealed". www.animationmagazine.net. Retrieved 2018-08-16.
- Ressler, Karen (3 September 2018). "New Pingu in the City Episodes Premiere on October 6". Anime News Network. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "Pingu na Cidade: Anime estreia no Gloobinho" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-01.