Pink (Victoria's Secret)
Pink or PINK is a lingerie line by Victoria's Secret targeting younger women than their main line.
On October 16, 2002, Victoria's Secret announced the launch of Pink, a new lingerie line targeted to 15- to 22-year-olds. The strategy driving Victoria's Secret's launch of Pink is to introduce the teenage girls to Victoria's Secret stores. Pink sells underwear, sleepwear, loungewear, beauty products, and accessories, with the intent to transition buyers into more adult product lines, such as Angels, Very Sexy, and Body by Victoria.
Pink's competition in the lingerie market for the 15- to 22-year-old demographic includes Abercrombie & Fitch and Aerie by American Eagle. Pink's pajamas and sweat pants were popular within the teenage and preteen set from 2006. In 2009, Pink established its first four stand-alone stores in Canada. In 2010, sales at PINK reached $1 billion.
Pink has a college line that focuses brand recognition through public university athletics. Promotions for the line come from college tours, tie-ins with the music channel MTV, and social media such as Facebook and MySpace. In 2011, the line announced a partnership with all 32 NFL teams and began selling apparel containing NFL team logos and names. The partnership is part of a marketing strategy for the NFL to market to teenage girls and college-aged women.
In March 2013, the company mounted a marketing campaign for sexy underwear titled "Bright Young Things" directed at teen and pre-teen girls that drew considerable negative attention. The underwear contained wording including "call me", "feeling lucky", and "wild". The company was accused of "sexualising" teenage girls. When the ad campaign was launched, Victoria's Secret chief financial officer Stuart Burgdoerfer said that the line of underwear allowed "15 or 16 years old... to be older, and they want to be cool like the girl in college". After the criticism increased, Victoria's Secret removed the items from the company's website and said that the ad campaign was meant for college-age women.
Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
There has been a Pink segment in the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show since 2006. In 2007, the brand held an event featuring spokesmodel Miranda Kerr, alongside Jessica Stam and Rosie Huntington Whiteley. A spot in the 2007 fashion show was given to Katie Wile after she won a contest called "Pink Road Trip to the Runway."
PINK also sponsors fashion show viewing parties when the show airs.
|United States||Rachel Hilbert||2015–present|
PINK has partnered with both the MLB and the NFL for lines launched by Prinsloo as well as then Angels Chanel Iman, Erin Heatherton and Candice Swanepoel. Since then, various spokesmodels, including Hosk and Jessica Hart have attended sports events to promote those joint ventures.
Each year since 2010, the brand has hosted spring break parties to promote its collegiate collection, hosted by its models (Prinsloo, Iman, Hosk, Sara Sampaio) and usually featuring guests such as Alexander Ludwig, and Nick Jonas. The most recent one featured Rachel Hilbert, Gigi Hadid and Cody Simpson. They have also held campus bashes.
- Rozhon, Tracie (October 25, 2002). "A Lingerie Maker Returns To Its Racier Past". The New York Times. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Merrick, Amy (February 29, 2008). "Apparently, You Can Be Too Sexy". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "Limited Brands 2009 Annual Report". Materials.proxyvote.com. p. 56. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- Trefis (7 July 2010). "Impact on Lingerie Brand on A&F Stock". TheStreet.com. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- Barbaro, Michael (July 15, 2006). "What Women Want; Underwear That Fits So Well It Can Be Outerwear". The New York Times. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Kuczynski, Alex (March 16, 2006). "Leaving Las Vegas With a Little Secret". The New York Times. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- "L Brands Timeline". Lbrands. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Limited Brands Timeline". Limited Brands. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- Jane, Emily (27 March 2013). "Racy Victoria's Secret spring break campaign angers parents". Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Morrison, Karen (27 March 2013). "Parents' fury at Victoria's Secret 'sexualising' girls". The Sun (UK). Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Model Katie Wile". filmmagic.com. FilmMagic. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "PINK @ WVU to host Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show viewing party". The Daily Athenaeum.
- "Victoria's Secret Targets College Women". MSNBC. 2004-07-29. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Miranda Kerr Launches Victoria's Secret New Pink Bdy Organic and Natural Body Care Collection". Zimbio.com. March 10, 2009.
- Barnett, Leisa (May 27, 2008). "Victoria's Pick". Vogue (UK). Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Kaunitz, Kate (March 15, 2010). "Behati Prinsloo Opens PINK". Fashionista. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Lewis, Casey (November 3, 2012). "Supermodel Elsa Hosk on Her Favorite Sports, Style Essentials, and Advice For Breaking Into The Business". teenvogue.com.
- "Strange Bedfellows: Victoria's Secret Pink Makes Football Jerseys". Racked.com. April 23, 2010.
- "Candice Swanpoel & Behati Prinsloo attend the Victoria's Secret Pink MLB collection launch in Chicago". EyePrime. June 14, 2010.
- Taylor Hill/FilmMagic. "Mark Sanchez and Erin Heatherton - Did You See That? - Photos - SI.com". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Victoria's Secret PINK Model Jessica Hart Attends The Jets Game To Celebrate The NFL Victoria's Secret PINK Collection - City Sports Report". City Sports Report.
- jaredhatch1719748. "Elsa Hosk and Matt Forté Showing off Pink NFL". Racked Chicago.
- "Photos - Victoria's Secret PINK Nation Launches MLB - entertainment.ie". entertainment.ie.
- Heather Muir. "Victoria's Secret PINK Takes Over Spring Break in Key West!". Seventeen.
- "Behati Prinsloo and Chanel Iman Celebrate Spring Break with Victoria's Secret PINK". teenvogue.com.
- "Victoria's Secret PINK Model Sara Sampaio & DJ Irie Host A Spring Break Beach Party In Destin Florida". Guest of a Guest.
- SFL (14 March 2013). "Victoria's Secret Pink Spring Break Dance Party - southflorida.com". southflorida.com.
- "Photos - Joe Jonas attends Victorias Secret Spring Break - entertainment.ie". entertainment.ie.
- "Gigi Hadid At Pink Spring Break". Refinery29.
- "Iggy Azalea to Perform at 2014 Victoria's Secret PINK Nation - Us Weekly". usmagazine.com. 23 October 2014.
- Maura Brannigan. "Taylor Hill Interview: The Rising Supermodel On Life After The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show". LuckyShops.
- "Emily Didonato at Victoria’s Secret PINK Limited Release Varsity Crew Launch, Buffalo". SAWFIRST - Hot Celebrity Pictures.
- POPSUGAR Celebrity. "Ashlee Simpson Gets Pink for Victoria's Secret". Popsugar.com. Retrieved 2013-10-20.