Pink Boots Society
The Pink Boots Society (PBS) is a non-profit organization with international membership which supports women working in the brewing profession, especially in creating craft beer. The organization helps women brewers meet mentors, have the opportunity to network with other women in the profession and raises awareness of women in brewing. PBS also encourages women brewers to further their education and helps teach the skills needed to become beer judges. PBS raises money for scholarships for women to continue their education in brewing. There are around 1,800 members across the world. All members must be women and have some type of career in the brewing world or related to beer and beer-making.
In 2007, brewer Teri Fahrendorf met other brewers, Laura Ulrich and Whitney Thompson while on a road trip. Her trip, in which she went to 70 different breweries and participated in 38 brewings helped her realize that many of the women brewers she met didn't know there were other women in their profession. The first manifestation of PBS was merely a list of women brewers maintained on a blog. PBS had its first meeting at the Craft Brewers Conference (CBC) and it drew 22 members. Later, Fahrendorf founded PBS as a non-profit organization and named it after the pink boots she wore when brewing which had been given to her by her mother-in-law.
In 2013, PBS was contacted by Sophie de Ronde to create the International Women's Collaboration Brew Day (IWCBD). The day helps raise awareness about women in the brewing industry and also helps raise money for PBS.
The Pink Boots Society's archival collections are housed in the Oregon Hops and Brewing Archives (OHBA) at Oregon State University. This collection helps document the creation, growth, administration, and members of the Pink Boots Society.
- Gowans, Allison (16 April 2015). "Beer Celebrates Women in the Brewing Industry". The Gazette. Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via EBSCOhost.
- Archer, Steve (24 October 2016). "Brewing Industry Not Just a Boy's Club". Roseville & Granite Bay Press Tribune. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "About Us". Pink Boots Society. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Sicotte, Jon (14 May 2015). "The Pink Boots Society Turns Eight This Year!". Brewer. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Pink Boots Society Inspires and Educates Women Beer Professionals". Crushbrew. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Nurin, Tara (12 November 2016). "Replanting the Seeds of Brewing". Beer & Brewing Magazine. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Second Annual International Women's Collaboration Brew Day Attracts Global Participation". Brewbound. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Pink Boots Society Records, 2007-2019". scarc.library.oregonstate.edu. Retrieved 2019-07-12.