Pink Ralph Lauren dress of Gwyneth Paltrow
The Pink Ralph Lauren dress of Gwyneth Paltrow refers to the pink dress, designed by Ralph Lauren, which Gwyneth Paltrow wore to the 71st Academy Awards on 21 March 1999 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. The dress is cited by several sources as one of the greatest dresses in the history of the red carpet of the Oscars, and the style was compared to that of the actress Grace Kelly. The dress was widely copied after the event, and Paltrow was credited for bringing pink back into fashion.
The actress was accompanied to the event by her parents. Paltrow received an Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Viola De Lesseps in the film Shakespeare in Love. The soft pink gown designed by Ralph Lauren was made of taffeta, and has a relatively simple design. The dress has a long, wide skirt and a bodice with straps and V-shaped neckline; a scarf of the same color was tied to it. With her dress, Paltrow wore Harry Winston jewelry: a diamond necklace, bracelet and earrings valued at around $160,000.
In numerous surveys, the pink dress has been remembered as one of the greatest dresses worn on the red carpet of the Oscars and was ranked highly in a list of the greatest Oscar dresses by TIME Magazine. However, fashion critics were initially divided in opinion regarding Paltrow's choice of dress. TV Guide.com tells how one critic described the actress as "a Barbie doll wrapped in a satin ribbon." One commentator called it "incongruous with the current fashion", but "suitable Gwyneth Paltrow". The actress revived the fashion of pale pink and her selection of Ralph Lauren proved to be well received by the public and was widely emulated. An owner of a teen apparel boutique in Westport, Connecticut remarked, "The year before, I wouldn't have even looked at anything pink. It would have reminded my customers of when they were little girls. Paltrow made the color cool. And Paltrow's Oscar dress turned into the number one prom dress style of the year thanks to ABS and Allen Schwartz, who is famous for making low-priced copies of Oscar dresses."
- Frankel, Susannah (16 February 2009). "Oscar's best-dressed friends". The Independent. London. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Gwyneth Paltrow's Iconic Style". Harper's Bazaar. 9 April 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Gwyneth Paltrow Oscar Diamond Studded Collar Necklace Set". GlamForLess. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- Gale, Colin; Kaur, Jasbir (2004). Fashion and textiles: an overview. Berg Publishers. p. 78. ISBN 978-1-85973-818-4. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Gwyneth Paltrow; Ralph Lauren". LIFE. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- Reeve., Chace, (2003). The complete book of Oscar fashion : Variety's 75 years of glamour on the red carpet. New York, NY: Reed Press. p. 166. ISBN 1594290016. OCLC 53233868.
- "The 25 Best and Worst Oscar Gowns of All-TIME". TIME. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Celebration of Oscar Fashion: Gwyneth Paltrow in Pink Oscar Dress". About.com. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Top 10 all time Best Oscar dresses". Handbag.com. Archived from the original on 1 March 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.