Anand graduated from Lady Shri Ram College for Women and received her LLB degree from Faculty of Law, University of Delhi. In 1979-80, she was elected as the first woman Secretary of Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) winning with the highest number of votes. In 1980, she joined Harvard University to receive a Master of Law degree, supported by an Inlaks Scholarship from the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation.
As a lawyer
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anand is considered an expert in the field of constitutional Law, property, private international law, family law, environmental law and corporate law. She was the head of All-India Legal Cell at BJP and is a former Additional Advocate-General for the State of Uttarakhand. In 2007, she was designated as a senior advocate. On 9 July 2014, she was appointed as an Additional Solicitor General of India. She is the second woman lawyer to be appointed to this post after Ms. Indira Jaising was appointed in the UPA 2 tenure. She now practices in the Supreme Court of India. Some of the leading cases fought by her are related to constitutional right of freedom and expression for Indian actress Kushboo in which the Supreme Court upheld the rights in a path breaking judgment and quashed 21 cases of defamation; She represented the French Government in the famous case of Clemenceau; against genetically modified food in India, etc. She was the Chairperson, National Committee Law, ASSOCHAM Ladies League. She was the Vice President of Bar Association of India. Ms. Anand has received several awards for excellence in law including FICCI and Bharat Nirman, Women Achiever. She was also an Arbitrator with the Indian Council of Arbitrations. According to Anand her life-changing court case was when she, then a novice in law appeared against the reputed jurist L. M. Singhvi and eventually won.
Anand was a member of All India National Executive of BJP and has served as the national convenor of BJP's legal and legislative cell from 2007 till 2010. She represented BJP in the 5th General Assembly International Conference of Asian Political Parties (ICAPP) at Astana, Kazakhstan-September 24–26, 2009. She was elected as the Vice President of the session on Women and Politics. She was a Member of the Delegation of the BJP to Kochi in July 2010.
She was Spokesperson for and leading the All India Legal team of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She is Alternate Country Councillor (India) of LAWASIA. She is Chairperson, National Committee Law, ASSOCHAM Ladies League. She has received several awards for excellence in law by FICCI, Lions Club, Amity University & Bharat Nirman, PHD Chamber for Progress Harmony Development. She was a Core Committee member of National Human Rights Commission . She is a director of Research Foundation for Science, Technology and Ecology, a renowned NGO in the field of environment. She is a member in the Board of Studies at the School of Law in KIIT University.
She is an erudite speaker, writer and active in social issues. She is a well known speaker on media and International and National Conferences. Anand lectures in universities in India and abroad and in various international and national conferences such as Women's Forum Global Meeting, Deauville, France in 2008 & Terra Madre, Turin, Italy 2008 and 2010. She is a Fellow of Session 433, "Women, Political Power & Next Generation Leadership" Salzburg Seminar in Austria, 2006.
Currently, she is representing the country in the formation of BRICS Legal Forum. Member of Indian delegation to Brazil. She represented India at II BRICS Legal Forum at Shanghai, October 2015. She was Speaker at Ladies Study Group, Kolkata at the Seminar on "Law and the Woman" Nov. 2015. She was a Panel Speaker at ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival 2016.
- French National Order of Merit from the President of the French Republic
- Award for Excellence in Law 2009, by FICCI FLO for outstanding contribution in the field of law.
- 19th Bharat Nirman Awards for Excellence in Law in 2007.
- Co-author of International Family Law, Jurisdictional Comparisons First Edition 2011, printed by Sweet & Maxwell, UK.
- Saluja, Pallavi (10 July 2014). "Senior Advocate Pinky Anand appointed ASG". Bar and Bench. Archived from the original on 11 July 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Pinky Anand appointed ASG". The Hindu. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Inlaks ALumni". Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Our generation sullied reputation of lawyers: Harish Salve". Business Standard. 2014-07-28.
- "Theme: The Space Between..." TEDxISBWomen. 1 December 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Inlaks scholarship announced for 2011". Hindustan Times. 2011-02-08.
- "Dr. Pinky Anand - Profile". International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Archived from the original on 17 August 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2014.