Pinole Valley High School
|Pinole Valley High School|
|2901 Pinole Valley Road, Pinole, California
|School district||West Contra Costa Unified School District|
|Principal||Kyle Kibby Kleiman|
|Number of students||1,715|
|Color(s)||blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||CIF North Coast Section - BSC - TCAL|
Pinole Valley High School is a high school in Pinole, California, which is located in Contra Costa County. First opened in 1967, the school is part of the West Contra Costa Unified School District. Pinole Valley High serves grades 9–12, and has approximately 1,750 students. The school is noted for its girls' basketball team. Coach Dan O'Shea was named "Coach of the Year" in May 2006 by the Oakland Tribune.
Pinole Valley High offers several special programs for students, such as the Environmental Studies Academy, the Conservatory of the Arts, and Advanced Placement classes.
- Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer of Green Day, attended but did not graduate.
- Travis Feeney, National Football League player, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Jeff Becerra, lead singer of Possessed
- Thomas DeCoud, National Football League player
- Mike Dirnt, bassist for Green Day
- Jocelyn Enriquez
- Jeff Harris, Major League Baseball player
- Nathan Haynes, Major League Baseball player
- Iamsu!, rapper
- Larry LaLonde, current guitarist for Primus
- Chris Singleton, Major League Baseball player
- Dale Sveum, Major League Baseball player and manager
- Gino Torretta, National Football League player
Historical Economic problems
In 2004, the school district announced that it would eliminate all high school sports, close all libraries and lay off all music teachers and counselors its $180 million budget for 2004–'05.
- Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Pinole Valley High. U.S. Department of Education. Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics. Data for 2005-2006 school year. Accessed on 2007-09-21.
- What will they do now?, San Francisco Chronicle, March 11, 2004