Pinson Valley High School
|Pinson Valley High School|
6895 Highway 75 North
|School board||Jefferson County Schools|
|Student to teacher ratio||20:1|
|Color(s)||Garnet, gold, white, and black|
|Athletics||AHSAA Class 6A|
|Feeder schools||Rudd Middle School|
Pinson Valley High School (PVHS) is a four-year public high school in the Birmingham, Alabama suburb of Pinson. It is the fifth largest of the Jefferson County Board of Education's fourteen high schools. School colors are garnet and gold, and the athletic teams are called the Indians (referring to Native Americans). PVHS competes in AHSAA Class 6A athletics.
Enrollment in grades 9-12 for the 2013-14 school year is 1,028 students. Approximately 51% of students are white, 37% are African-American, 10% are Hispanic, and 2% are Asian-American. Roughly 42% of students qualify for free or reduced price lunch.
PVHS has a graduation rate of 83%. Approximately 75% of its students meet or exceed state proficiency standards in mathematics, and 78% meet or exceed standards in reading. The average ACT score for PVHS students is 22.
In 2008, a new Fine Arts and Science Center was added to the school. The auditorium seats 670 in a state-of-the-art facility. The Fine Arts Center houses the Pinson Valley Marching Chiefs, the school's award-winning marching band, is directed by Keith Brandenburg. The PVHS Choir program is led by Sarah Timothy. The theatre program is directed by John Bailey.
The campus also consists of the Willie Adams Stadium, two gymnasiums (including the Mike Dutton Gymnasium), academic classrooms, a fine arts center, and a lunchroom.
- Cross Country
- Indoor Track & Field
- Outdoor Track & Field
The wrestling team won state championships in 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, and 1990. The football team won area championships in 1998, 1999, 2017 and 2018. The football team has won two back to back state championships in 2017 then again in 2018  in Class 6A. PVHS Head football coach is Patrick Nix, boys basketball head coach is Darrell Barber. The basketball team won area championships in 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017.
- Marcus Brimage, professional Mixed Martial Artist formerly with the UFC
- Desmond Jennings, Former MLB player (Tampa Bay Rays)
- Shay Shelnutt, Current, Alabama State Senator, District 17
- Terry Jones, Former MLB player (Colorado Rockies, Montreal Expos)
- Phil Sims, Former Texas Governor George W. Bush's Ombudsman, 1995-1998
- Melinda Toole Gunter, Former Miss Alabama
- Coty Clarke, former University of Arkansas basketball player, Current NBA player who plays overseas for UNICS Kazan in Russia.
- Zach Cunningham, former Vanderbilt University football player, current Houston Texans linebacker in the NFL
- John Davidson, vocalist/musician for the band The Brummies
- Jacob Bryant, vocalist/ musician for the band The Brummies
- "Pinson Valley High Sch". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- "AHSAA School Classification 2014-16" (PDF).
- "Pinson Valley High School in Pinson, AL - Niche". K-12 School Rankings and Reviews at Niche.com. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "2014 Graduation Rates by School and District". Alabama School Connection. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Pinson Valley High School -". Pinson Valley High School. Retrieved 2015-10-06.