release 20230203  / February 3, 2023
|Platform||Linux, Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Single player, Space trading and combat simulator|
|License||GPL (and more permissive licenses) / CC BY-SA 3.0|
The game has no set objective, and the player is free to explore the galaxy and accrue money by performing tasks like trading, piracy or combat missions, allowing them to achieve a higher rank, buy better ships and equipment and hire more crew.
It has a realistic flight and orbital model based on Newtonian physics and a rudimentary atmospheric model with drag and heat build-up.
Development was started in 2008 by Tom Morton, also known for his work on GLFrontier, as a remake and homage to Frontier: Elite 2. The game is written in C++ and uses OpenGL for graphical rendering. It uses Lua for scripting support. The development migrated in 2011 to a SourceForge.net repository, and some years later to GitHub.
Reception and impact
Pioneer was selected in March 2013 as "HotPick" by Linux Format. Pioneer was used in a physical spaceship flight simulator project in 2013. In 2014 Pioneer was described by PCGamer as "incredibly slick" and named among the "Ten top fan remade classics you can play for free right now". In 2015 a Der Standard article noted the enormous work the fans have achieved with Pioneer as Elite remake and continuation.
- "Pioneer 2022-02-03". github.com. 2023-02-02. Retrieved 2023-02-03.
- authors.txt on github.com "Pioneer's art, music and other assets are licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License." (May 2017)
- Craig Pearson (2011-12-06). "Back To Front(ier): Pioneer". Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- "Game Bytes #2". github.com. 28 August 2012.
- "Pioneer Official Site".
- "Initial commit to the Git repository". GitHub. June 24, 2008. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- "Pioneer github page". GitHub. 5 January 2022.
- Rainer Sigl (February 1, 2015). "Lieblingsspiele 2.0: Die bewundernswerte Kunst der Fan-Remakes". Der Standard.
- "Pioneer github graphs". GitHub.
- Linux Format 168 March 2013 page 77
- Amazing dad builds son a spaceship simulator by Michelle Starr on cnet.com (April 11, 2013)
- Craig Pearson (2014-01-01). "Ten top fan-remade classics you can play for free right now". PC Gamer.
- Download Statistics: All Files6 on sourceforge.net (October 2019)