|Founder(s)||Lovett C. Peters|
|Chairman||Stephen D. Fantone|
|Executive Director||Jim Stergios|
(FYE September 2015)
|Address||185 Devonshire Street, Suite 1101, Boston, Massachusetts 02110|
The Pioneer Institute is a free-market think tank based in Boston, Massachusetts. The organization was founded in 1988 by Lovett C. Peters. Pioneer's stated mission is "to improve the quality of life in Massachusetts through civic discourse and intellectually rigorous, data-driven public policy solutions based on free market principles, individual liberty and responsibility, and the ideal of effective, limited and accountable government."
Pioneer conducts research in the area of education reform, including charter schools and standards-based education. Pioneer's educational reform work strongly influenced education changes in Massachusetts in the early 1990s. The Institute created a fellowship program to train charter school entrepreneurs, which in 2003 became a separate non-profit organization, the Building Excellent Schools Foundation, which trains charter operators around the nation. The Boston Globe wrote that the Pioneer Institute "has a national profile as the brains of the Common Core opposition." Former Massachusetts Senate President Tom Birmingham, a Democrat, joined the Pioneer Institute in 2015 as Distinguished Senior Fellow in Education.
The Institute also conducts research on healthcare policy, job and business creation, limited and effective state and local government, welfare reform, public pensions, public finance, and government transparency.
- Stergios, Jim (September 7, 2015). "Boston's love affair with big projects must end". Boston Globe. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "Charity Rating". Charity Navigator. Also see "Quickview data". GuideStar.
- Schoenberg, Shira (December 30, 2012). "New Pioneer Institute study stirs debate over public support for religious Jewish schools". Mass Live. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Pioneer's Mission". Pioneer Institute. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Lawrence, J.M. (November 19, 2010). "Lovett 'Pete' Peters, founder of Pioneer Institute; at 97". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- "Editorial: State's charter school agenda". Milford Daily News. February 20, 2004. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Weiss, Joanna (July 18, 2014). "Will Pioneer Institute knock out Common Core?". Boston Globe. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Schoenberg, Shira (February 2, 2015). "Former Massachusetts Senate President Tom Birmingham joins Pioneer Institute think tank". MassLive. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Schoenberg, Shira (May 10, 2015). "Pioneer Institute report says Massachusetts Health Connector officials 'appear to have lied' to federal government". MassLive. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Pioneer Institute website
- Organizational Profile – National Center for Charitable Statistics (Urban Institute)