2 March 1944 |
|Fields||Sociological theory, Visual sociology, Sociology of everyday life|
|Alma mater||Jagiellonian University|
|Influences||Robert K. Merton|
|Notable awards||Prize of the Foundation for Polish Science (2006)|
Piotr Sztompka (born 2 March 1944, in Warsaw, Poland) is a Polish sociologist known for his work on the theory of social trust. He works at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland, where he is professor of sociology, and he has also served frequently as visiting professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, and at Columbia University in New York City.
Sztompka studied law and sociology at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland, obtaining a Ph.D. degree there in 1970.
Two years later, he was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to the University of California, Berkeley. Since 1974 he has been on the faculty of its Sociology Department, as a teaching assistant and subsequently as a professor.
In the 1970s, Sztompka established a close collaboration with Robert K. Merton, which greatly influenced Sztompka's view of the discipline.
Sztompka has also taught as visiting professor at Columbia University, the University of Michigan, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Rome, and Tischner European University. He is a fellow of the Collegium Invisibile.
- System and Function (Studies in Anthropology, 1974).
- Sociological Dilemmas (1979).
- Robert K. Merton: an Intellectual Profile (1986)
- The New Technological Challenge and Socialist Societies (editor, 1987).
- Rethinking Progress (with Jeffrey C. Alexander, 1990).
- Society in Action: the Theory of Social Becoming (1991).
- Sociology in Europe: in Search of Identity (with Birgitta Nedelmann, 1993).
- The Sociology of Social Change (1993).
- Agency and Structure: Reorienting Social Theory (International Studies in Global Change, vol. 4; editor, 1994).
- Robert K. Merton, On Social Structure and Science (editor), Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 1996, ISBN 0-226-52070-6.
- Trust: a Sociological Theory (1999).
- Zygmunt Bauman
- List of multiple independent discoveries
- Robert K. Merton
- Multiple independent discovery
- Jerzy Szacki
- Trust (social sciences)
- "List of Fellows". ci.edu.pl. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Sztompka, Piotr (1944—)," Contemporary Authors, 2004.
|This biographical article about a Polish academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a Polish sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|