|Born||17 May 1974|
|Occupation||Lawyer, webmaster, author of publications on intellectual property (in particular on copyright and related rights), lecturer.|
|Known for||contribution to informatization of Poland, contribution to the development of social consciousness of the information law in Poland|
Piotr Waglowski (born 17 May 1974, Warsaw), known online as VaGla, is a Polish lawyer, poet, publicist and webmaster, open government activist, researcher of communication processes in the paradigm of social constructionism.
Academic activity and teaching
Waglowski specialised in the legal aspects of the information society and the legal analysis of the Internet-based projects. A graduate of the Faculty of Law and Administration, University of Warsaw, he dedicated his Master's thesis to the subject of infringement of personality rights on the Internet and their civil law protection based on the Civil Code. He studied at the doctoral level at the Institute of Law Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, currently working on his PhD dissertation. His teaching experience is dedicated mostly to media education.[clarification needed] He has taught at the Lazarski University in Warsaw, Warsaw School of Social Sciences and Humanities, and at the Faculty of Journalism and Political Studies of University of Warsaw.
Waglowski is recognized as one of the first Wikipedians in Poland. In 1995, he founded the first Polish-language electronic mailing list on law, known as "email@example.com". Two years later, he started his private Internet service VaGla.pl Prawo i Internet, dedicated to the legal aspects of the information society
Waglowski was a founding member of the Internet Society Poland. From 2001-06, he was a member of the board of the Society. He has authored numerous articles on the legal aspects of the information society. In 2005 he has published book "Prawo w sieci. Zarys regulacji internetu", which was one of the first publications on this subject in Poland. Since December 2006 he has served in the Program Council of the bi-monthly magazine Elektroniczna administracja (Electronic administration). He is a member of the Program Council of the quarterly Prawo Nowych Technologii, and a columnist for the monthly magazine IT w administracji.
On 14 August 2006, Deputy Prime Minister Ludwik Dorn appointed Waglowski for the member of the Informatization Council. On 23 March 2007 he was nominated for membership in the Council of Polish Chamber of Information Technology and Telecommunication.
Awards and prizes
- 2001: Internet Citizen of the Year 2001 - Piotr Waglowski has been the first to receive this title from the Organisational Committee of the Civil Internet for the essential contribution to the building the information society in Poland.
- 2005: Bronze Cross of Merit in 2005 from the President of Poland the cross "for the contribution to the development of informatization".
- 2010: Info Star Prize 2010 received from the Centre of the Promotion of the Computer Science and Polish Information Processing Society for "promotion of the ICT law".
- 2011: (nomination) Man of the Year. Internet Standard 2011 - "for almost 15 years of writing blog-portal on law and Internet, for consequent support of the freedom in The Net, for describing in easy-to-understand form difficult legal subjects, for initiating substantive discussions, for the contribution to the research on copyright law in Internet." 
- Accessible Cyberspace Forum awarded Waglowski a prize "for exceptional contribution to the accessibility of Internet"
- nominated to Radio TOK FM Prize
- ranked Most Influential Polish Lawyer of 2012
- received MediaTory Prize (2013) from journalism students at Polish universities) for "ReformaTOR", the highest-standard of citizenship investigation, consequent monitoring (watchdoging) authorities and controlling legal reality for the benefit of whole society.
- Official website; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- "Tekstylia bis. Słownik młodej polskiej kultury", p. 781 (Kraków 2006); ISBN 978-83-89911-43-8 (in Polish)
- List of publications (at the bottom of the page)
- "Prawo w sieci. Zarys regulacji internetu" ("Law in the net. Outline of the regulation of the Internet"), Helion Publishing; ISBN 83-7361-854-6.(in Polish)
- Program Council of the "Elektroniczna administracja" ("Electronic administration")
- Profile, itwadministracji.pl; accessed 20 September 2014. (in Polish)
- Jarosław Lipszyc: 1 stycznia - Dzień Domeny Publicznej (1 January - Public Domain Day), jaroslawlipszyc.salon24.pl; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- IDG: Piotr "Vagla" Waglowski członkiem Rady Informatyzacji ("Piotr "VaGla" Waglowski member of the Informatization Council"); accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Rada Polskiej Izby Informatyki i Telekomunikacji Kadencja 2007-2009 ("Polish Chamber of Information Technology and Telecommunication, mandate 2007-2009"); accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Rada Polskiej Izby Informatyki i Telekomunikacji Kadencja 2009-2011 ("Polish Chamber of Information Technology and Telecommunication, mandate 2009-2011") (in Polish)
- Official news on the Modern Poland Foundation website; accessed 20 September 2014.(in Polish)
- VaGla Waglowski PDF-Poland and CEE: speakers: Piotr "VaGla" Waglowski 2011 profile, personaldemocracy.com; accessed 20 September 2014. (in Polish)
- "Monitor Polski" 83/2005, position 1183; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Information on the winners of the Info-Star prize, info-star.pl; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Company and Man of the Year 2011, internetstandard.pl; accessed 8 October 2014 (in Polish).
- Samorząd Równych Szans i Forum Dostępnej Cyberprzestrzeni, prawo.vagla.pl; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Press: Newsy Radio. Jagielski, Jurecki, Zimoch i Waglowski wśród nominowanch do Nagrody im. Andrzeja Woyciechowskiego 2012
- Nagroda Woyciechowskiego - Edycja 2012 - Nominacje, nagrodawoyciechowskiego.pl; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Radio TOK FM: Nominowani do Nagrody Radia TOK FM; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Dziennik Gazeta Prawna: 50 najbardziej wpływowych prawników. II edycja rankingu; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
- Laureaci MediaTorów 2013, mediatory.pl; accessed 8 October 2014. (in Polish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Piotr Waglowski.|