3D model (JSmol)
|Molar mass||317.34 g·mol−1|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
|what is ?)(|
Piperlongumine may have anti-cancer properties. In in vitro experiments, it selectively kills some types cancer cells over normal cells. One study in a xenograft mouse model of cancer showed that piperlongumine inhibits the growth of malignant breast tumors and their associated metastases. Although this study has been retracted . Its anticancer effects may be due to silencing the GSTP1 gene. Piperlongumine inhibits the migration of breast cancer cells (MDA-MB-231), an approach for discovering antimetastatic agents. 
Some piperlongumine derivatives were potent anti-inflammatory agents. The synthesis typically involved Schotten-Baumann reaction between the acid chloride of 3,4,5-trimethoxycinnamic acid with the corresponding amines. Wang et al., evaluated piperlongumine as a novel senolytic agent.
- Raj, Lakshmi; Ide, Takao; Gurkar, Aditi U.; Foley, Michael; Schenone, Monica; Li, Xiaoyu; Tolliday, Nicola J.; Golub, Todd R.; et al. (2011). "Selective killing of cancer cells by a small molecule targeting the stress response to ROS". Nature. 475 (7355): 231–234. doi:10.1038/nature10167. PMC 3316487. PMID 21753854.
- "Novel Compound Selectively Kills Cancer Cells by Blocking Their Response to Oxidative Stress". ScienceDaily. July 2011.
- Researchers uncover mechanism for cancer-killing properties of pepper plant reporting on Structural and Biochemical Analyses Reveal the Mechanism of Glutathione S-Transferase Pi 1 Inhibition by the Anti-cancer Compound Piperlongumine. 2017
- Valli, M.; Altei, W.; dos Santos, R.; De Lucca Jr., E.; Dessoy, M.; Pioli, R.; Cotinguiba, F.; Cachet, X.; Michel, S.; Furlan, M.; Dias, L.; Andricopulo, A.; Bolzani, V. Synthetic Analogue of the Natural Product Piperlongumine as a Potent Inhibitor of Breast Cancer Cell Line Migration. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, v. 28, p. 475-484, 2017.http://dx.doi.org/10.21577/0103-5053.20160303
- Seo, Young Hwa; Kim, Jin-Kyung; Jun, Jong-Gab (2014). "Synthesis and biological evaluation of piperlongumine derivatives as potent anti-inflammatory agents". Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 24 (24): 5727–5730. doi:10.1016/j.bmcl.2014.10.054. ISSN 0960-894X. PMID 25453809.
- Wang, Y.; Chang, J.; Liu, X.; Zhang, X.; Zhang, S.; Zhang, X.; Zheng, G. (2016). "Discovery of piperlongumine as a potential novel lead for the development of senolytic agents". Aging. 8 (11): 2915–2926. doi:10.18632/aging.101100.