From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
KDOT map of Woodson County (legend)
|state of Kansas|
|• Total||4.007 sq mi (10.38 km2)|
|• Land||3.968 sq mi (10.28 km2)|
|• Water||0.039 sq mi (0.10 km2)|
|Elevation||1,027 ft (313 m)|
|• Density||27/sq mi (10/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|FIPS code||20-56000 |
|GNIS ID||474484 |
Piqua had its start in the year 1882 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named after the city of Piqua, Ohio. The first post office in Piqua was established in March 1882.
- Buster Keaton (1895–1966), acclaimed actor and film director. He was born in Piqua while his mother was traveling.
- Fred Kipp, Major league baseball pitcher between 1957-1960 with the Dodgers and Yankees.
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) details for Piqua, Kansas; United States Geological Survey (USGS); October 13, 1978.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Piqua, Kansas". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Volume 2. Standard Publishing Company. p. 479.
- "Profile for Piqua, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961". Kansas Historical Society. Archived from the original on October 9, 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Rand McNally, The Road Atlas '05, Skokie: Rand McNally & Company, 2005.
|This article about a location in Woodson County, Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|