Pirates of the High Seas
|Pirates of the High Seas|
|Directed by||Spencer Gordon Bennet
|Produced by||Sam Katzman|
|Written by||Charles R. Condon
George H. Plympton
Joseph F. Poland
|Music by||Mischa Bakaleinikoff|
|Cinematography||Ira H. Morgan|
|Edited by||Earl Turner|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|15 chapters (260 minutes), B&W|
Pirates of the High Seas (1950) is the 44th serial released by Columbia Pictures. It starred the heroic Buster Crabbe, along with Lois Hall and Tommy Farrell, under the direction of Spencer Gordon Bennet and Thomas Carr. It was a Sam Katzman production.
Adventurer Jeff Drake sails to a Pacific island in aid of Kelly Walsh, an old friend whose freight line is being sabotaged by a ghost ship (such as the classic Flying Dutchman). Drake and Walsh's investigation concerns the search for Walter Castell, an escaped convict who stole 5 million dollars in diamonds at the close of World War II. Several other people, including Walsh's sister, all want to go to the island. Drake and his friends encounter multiple dangers when they are attacked by a gang also looking for the stolen diamonds led by the mysterious 'Admiral'...
- Buster Crabbe as Jeff Drake *
- Lois Hall as Carol Walsh
- Tommy Farrell as Kelly Walsh
- Gene Roth as Gov. Frederick Whitlock
- Tristram Coffin as Walter Castell
- Stanley Price as Lamar, Whitlock's aide
- Marshall Reed as Shark Wilson, phantom cruiser thug-captain
- Rusty Wescoatt as Adams, burly phantom cruiser thug
- Terry Frost as Carter, Patrol 6 thug-driver
- Pierce Lyden as Durk, Patrol 6 thug-leader
- Neyle Morrow as Kalana
- Symona Boniface as The Lotus Lady
- Hugh Prosser as Roper, Jeff's first mate
- Lee Roberts as Barker, phantom cruiser thug
- William Fawcett as Ben Wharton
- * This was the only serial in which Crabbe played an original character, rather than one adapted from another source.
Pirates of the High Seas qualifies as both a sea and a jungle story, due to action taking place on uncharted islands.
- Mystery Mission
- Attacked by Pirates
- Dangerous Depths
- Blasted to Atoms
- The Missing Mate
- Secret of the Ivory Case
- Captured by Savages
- The Vanishing Music Box
- Booby Trap
- Savage Snare
- Sinister Cavern
- Blast from the Depths
- Cave In
- Secret of the Music Box
- Diamonds from the Sea
- Cline, William C. (1984). "5. A Cheer for the Champions (The Heroes and Heroines)". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 86. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "3. The Six Faces of Adventure". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 36. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "Filmography". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 251. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.