|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||01h 03m 55.0s|
|Declination||+21° 53′ 06″|
|Redshift||-287 ± 0 km/s|
|Distance||2.51 ± 0.08 Mly (769 ± 25 kpc)|
|Apparent dimensions (V)||2′ × 2′|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||14.2|
|LGS 3, PGC 3792|
Pisces Dwarf is an irregular dwarf galaxy that is part of the Local Group. The galaxy is also suspected of being a satellite galaxy of the Triangulum Galaxy (M33). Because it is in the constellation Pisces, the galaxy is called the Pisces Dwarf. It displays a blueshift, as it is approaching the Milky Way at 287 km/s. It may be transition-type galaxy, somewhere between dwarf spheroidal and dwarf irregular. Alternatively, it may be a rare, but statistically acceptable, version of one of the two types.
Star formation history
A study of the star formation history conducted in 2001 provide much information on how this galaxy developed. Apparently, the star formation rate in the Pisces Dwarf has been declining for the past 10 billion years. Most of the galaxy's stars were formed in its early years, about 8 billion years ago. The Miller study has also shown that there has been no significant star formation for the past 100 million years. Hence, most of the stars that populate this galaxy are old, metal-rich stars aged about 2.5 billion years. But there are small clusters of young, hot, blue stars on the outer areas of the galaxy.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for Pisces Dwarf. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- McConnachie, A. W.; Irwin, M. J.; Ferguson, A. M. N.; Ibata, R. A.; Lewis, G. F.; Tanvir, N. (2005). "Distances and metallicities for 17 Local Group galaxies". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 356 (4): 979–997. arXiv:astro-ph/0410489. Bibcode:2005MNRAS.356..979M. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2004.08514.x.
- Karachentseva, V. E. (1976). "Some characteristics of isolated pairs composed of a normal galaxy and DDO-dwarf". Soobshch. Spets. Astrofiz. Obs. 18 (18): 42–51. Bibcode:1976SoSAO..18...42K.
- Hidalgo, Sebastian L.; Aparicio, Antonio; Skillman, Evan; Monelli, Matteo; Gallart, Carme; Cole, Andrew; Dolphin, Andrew; Weisz, Daniel; Bernard, Edouard J.; Cassisi, Santi; Mayer, Lucio; Stetson, Peter; Tolstoy, Eline; Ferguson, Henry (2011). "The Acs Lcid Project. V. The Star Formation History of the Dwarf Galaxy Lgs-3: Clues to Cosmic Reionization and Feedback". The Astrophysical Journal 730: 14. arXiv:1101.5762. Bibcode:2011ApJ...730...14H. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/730/1/14.
- Miller, B. W., Dolphin, A. E., Lee, M. G., Kim, S. C., Hodge, P. (2001). "The Star Formation History of LGS3". The Astrophysical Journal 562 (2): 713–726. arXiv:astro-ph/0108408. Bibcode:2001ApJ...562..713M. doi:10.1086/323853.