|Origin||Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Genres||Hardcore punk, post-hardcore, noise rock|
|Labels||Sub Pop, Parts Unknown|
|Past members||Dave Rosenstraus
Pissed Jeans is an American punk rock band from Allentown, Pennsylvania. The band claims to play "loud, heavy, noisy, punk rock" and is influenced by 1980s hardcore punk and post-hardcore bands. The band have released several 7" singles and four albums, and are currently signed to Sub Pop. In March 2013, Pissed Jeans was named one of Fuse TV's 30 must-see artists at SXSW.
The members of Pissed Jeans all attended Nazareth High School and initially planned to use the name Unrequited Hard-On before settling on Pissed Jeans. As Matt Korvette explains,
The idea was to start a different kinda Punk band focused on dead ended carnal cravings, sexual depression...that sort of thing. Mainly we just wanted to bludgeon the listener with dull, monotonous droning rock music that just sucks the energy out of you, the musical equivalent to watching a toilet flush.
Pissed Jeans released its debut, Shallow, in 2005 on Parts Unknown Records. This was followed by Hope for Men (2007), King of Jeans (2009) and Honeys (2013), all released on Sub Pop Records. King of Jeans and Honeys were both produced by Alex Newport.
The New York Times acknowledged the band for "bring(ing) back ’80s memories of hard, slovenly noise, when punk bands realized they could slow down and let their music fall apart a bit"; however, the article also observed the "aggressive, nasty" reaction of attendees at a 2008 show, who evidently were unprepared for Pissed Jeans sonics: the concert goers "started to huddle defensively on the sides," with "the columns of speakers on either side of the band...being used as something to hold on to. Average hipsters started to look like sailors clinging to a mast in a storm."
Their album Honeys was released in February 2013. Allmusic noted that "Fortunately, when the world has you feeling trapped, Pissed Jeans are there to help you rage out for a bit while you find some perspective."
Pissed Jeans' latest album Why Love Now was released in April 2017.
- Shallow (Parts Unknown, 2005)
- Hope For Men (Sub Pop, 2007)
- King of Jeans (Sub Pop, 2009)
- Honeys (Sub Pop, 2013)
- Why Love Now (Sub Pop, 2017)
- Throbbing Organ/Night Minutes (Parts Unknown, 2004)
- Don't Need Smoke to Make Myself Disappear/Love Clown (Sub Pop, 2006)
- Sam Kinison Woman/The L Word (Sub Pop, 2010)
- Heaney, Gregory (2013-02-12). "Honeys - Pissed Jeans : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- van Gerrevink, Richard. "Pissed Jeans". LordsofMetal. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Rettman, Tony. "Pissed Jeans: Staring at your zits in the mirror for an hour straight and crying while stone sober". Blastitude.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "30 Must-See Acts at SXSW 2013 - Photos - South by Southwest - Festivals - Fuse". Fuse.tv. 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "Artists: Pissed Jeans". Sub Pop. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Ratliff, Ben (18 February 2008). "Music Review: Primal Call and Response at a Band’s Rumbling Bash". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 20 April 2013.