|Demo by Young Nudy and Pi'erre Bourne featuring Playboi Carti|
|Released||April 18, 2019 (leak)|
Audio sample featuring Young Nudy rapping and Playboi Carti's "baby voice".
"Pissy Pamper", popularly referred to as "Kid Cudi", is an unreleased song by American rapper Young Nudy and American producer Pi'erre Bourne, featuring American rapper Playboi Carti. The song initially leaked online in April 2019, where an unofficial upload of the song, featuring just Playboi Carti's verse, topped the Spotify US Viral 50 chart in late May 2019 after a performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.
"Pissy Pamper" was produced by Pi'erre Bourne for Sli'merre, his collaborative album with Young Nudy. The song was not included on the album due to a sample clearance issue. Young Nudy had sent the song to Playboi Carti to record a verse. Upon being sent back the verse, Young Nudy reacted by saying "Man, what the fuck is Carti talking about? He sound like a goddamn baby."
Playboi Carti's verse was first previewed on Instagram Live as a snippet in March 2019, where the song was dubbed "Kid Cudi" due to Playboi Carti referencing American rapper Kid Cudi by name twice: "Brand new pack like Kid Cudi / I smoke dope like Kid Cudi". Internet memes using Playboi Carti's verse quickly went viral prior to the song's full leak.
The song is built upon a sample of Japanese singer Mai Yamane's 1980 song "Tasogare". Playboi Carti uses his viral "baby voice Carti" technique for his guest feature, with his voice hitting a high pitch with unclear pronunciations and frantic cadences.
Leak and success
The entire song was leaked on April 18, 2019, revealed to be a Young Nudy and Pi'erre Bourne track titled "Pissy Pamper". The song wasn't included on the collaborative album Sli'merre due to sample clearance issues. The song went viral due to the "baby voice Carti" verse, a voice technique previously used by Carti on American singer Solange's "Almeda", and was boosted by Internet memes.
A high school sophomore under the name Lil Kambo uploaded Carti's verse to Spotify under the title "Kid Carti". In an interview with Genius, Kambo explained "I first made my Spotify account to post songs that aren’t already on Spotify. Before the song came out there was a snippet on YouTube and it sounded like it would be a hit if it was released. A couple weeks later the song got leaked and I posted it to my channel not thinking about how big it would get." After Kambo shared the link to his upload on Reddit, along with Carti's performance of his verse during his set at the 2019 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, the unofficial upload topped the US Viral 50 chart on May 20, 2019 with over two million streams. The song was removed from Spotify on May 22, 2019. By June 26, 2019, another unofficial upload of Playboi Carti's verse, under the title "Kid Cudi Only Carti", by YungGen, had climbed up into the top 5 of the Spotify Viral 50 chart., but then got taken down. By July 2019, yet another unofficial upload of the full song, by King Zay, had climbed to the Spotify US Viral 50 chart until it got detected. More unofficial uploads of the song continues to be released.
In a May 2019 interview with Pitchfork, Young Nudy stated that he did not "give a damn" that the song did not make it onto Sli'merre. He added that, "Sometimes you think you made the best song in the world, and someone come out the blue talking about, 'You can't use that sample.' You just gotta move on." Young Nudy reiterated that he "ain't give a fuck" that the song had leaked in a June 2019 interview with The Fader.
On June 27, 2019, Connecticut Public Radio's The Colin McEnroe Show named "Pissy Pamper" as a contender for 2019 Song of the Summer. In a July 2019 article, Douglas Markowitz of the Phoenix New Times included "Pissy Pamper" on the newspaper's list of "Favorite Songs of 2019 (So Far)". In its year-end list, Pitchfork listed "Pissy Pamper" at number 43 on its list of the 100 best songs of 2019.
- Ben Dandridge Lemco (June 27, 2019). "The FADER Interview with Young Nudy, the people's champ of Atlanta". The Fader. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- Nada Mesh (May 21, 2019). "A Leaked Upload Of Playboi Carti's "Kid Cudi" Is Currently No.1 On Spotify's US Viral 50 Chart". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Chris Mench (May 3, 2019). "Playboi Carti Scores A Viral Hit With "Kid Cudi," A Leaked Snippet From A Song That's Not Even His". Genius. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Greg Gaffney (May 10, 2019). "The History of Playboi Carti's Baby Voice". Complex. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Alphonse Pierre (May 30, 2019). "Young Nudy Is Putting the Bullshit Behind Him". Pitchfork. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- Carl Lamarre (May 22, 2019). "Fan Sneaks Unreleased Playboi Carti Song to DSPs, Tops Spotify's US Viral 50 Chart". Billboard. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Chris Mench (May 21, 2019). "An Unofficial Upload Of Playboi Carti's 'Kid Cudi' Is No. 1 On Spotify's US Viral 50 Chart". Genius. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Jordan Darville (May 21, 2019). "A clip of Playboi Carti's leaked song "Kid Cudi" is number one on the Spotify Viral 50 Chart". The Fader. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Isaac Welch; Chris Mench (June 26, 2019). "Multiple Leaked Playboi Carti Tracks Have Appeared Under His Official Apple Music Account". Genius.
- Chion Wolf; Colin McEnroe (June 27, 2019). "The 2019 Song Of The Summer Is..." WNPR. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- Douglas Markowitz (July 2, 2019). "Phoenix New Times' Favorite Songs of 2019 (So Far)". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- "The 100 Best Songs of 2019". Pitchfork. December 9, 2019. Retrieved December 9, 2019.