In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the pit fiend is a type of devil.
The pit fiend (greater devil) first appeared under the "devil" heading in the original first edition Monster Manual (1977).
The pit fiend greater baatezu appear in second edition in the Monstrous Compendium Volume Outer Planes Appendix (1991) under the "baatezu" heading, and next appear in the Monstrous Manual (1993). Pit fiends are also detailed under the "baatezu" heading in the first Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994).
The pit fiend appears under the "devil" heading in the third edition Monster Manual (2000), and in the revised 3.5 edition Monster Manual (2003).
The pit fiend is a lord of devils, with great strength and deadly power. As greater devils, they are the personal servants of Asmodeus, and each of them has an individual name.
- ^ Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- ^ LaFountain, J. Paul. Monstrous Compendium Volume Outer Planes Appendix. (TSR, 1991)
- ^ Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- ^ Varney, Allen, ed. Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (TSR, 1994)
- ^ Cook, Monte, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2000)