Pithara, Western Australia
The Pithara Tavern
|Population||257 (2011 census)|
|Location||240 km (149 mi) N of Perth|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Dalwallinu|
Pithara is a small town in the wheatbelt region of Western Australia. It is located about 240 km north of Perth, in the Shire of Dalwallinu. At the 2011 census, Pithara had a population of 257, a 25% fall from the previous 2006 census.
The name Pithara was originally an Australian Aboriginal name for a nearby well, which first appears on maps of the area in 1907. In April 1913 it was approved as the name of a siding on the Wongan Hills to Mullewa railway line, which was under construction at the time. Shortly afterwards the decision was made to rename the siding to Hettie, after the original owner of the land on which the siding was built. In 1914 the government gazetted a townsite at the siding, also naming it Hettie, but this was objected to by locals, and the name Pithara was reinstated.
Pithara primarily serves as a base for the local farming community, and serves large numbers of visitors during the spring when wildflowers bloom in the region.
There is also an active speedway club in town and drivers visit from all over Western Australia to compete in a number of meetings during the year.
The surrounding areas produce wheat and other cereal crops. The town is a receival site for Cooperative Bulk Handling. In 1932 the Wheat Pool of Western Australia installed two engine-driven grain elevators at the Pithara railway siding, marking the transition from manual handling of bagged grain to bulk handling.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Pithara (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Pithara". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Pithara (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – P". Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- Higham, G. J; Geoproject Solutions (2004), Where WAS that? : an historical gazetteer of Western Australia (1st ed.), Geoproject Solutions Pty Ltd, ISBN 978-0-646-44186-3
- "Country elevators". The West Australian (Perth, Western Australia). 6 July 1932. p. 10. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "CBH receival sites" (PDF). 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 March 2012. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
Media related to Pithara, Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons