Pittsburg High School (Kansas)
|Pittsburg High School|
|1978 East 4th Street 
Pittsburg, Kansas 66762
|School type||Public, High School|
|School board||Board Website|
|School district||USD 250 |
|Superintendent||Destry Brown |
|CEEB code||172407 |
|Principal||Jon Bishop |
|Asst Principal||Chris Garzone, Rhonda White|
|Athletic Director||Brannon Kidd |
|Band Director||Cooper Neil|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Athletics||Class 5A 
District 4 
|Athletics conference||Southeast Kansas League |
|Rival||Fort Scott High School|
|Newspaper||The Booster Redux|
Pittsburg High School is a fully accredited public high school located in Pittsburg, Kansas, USA, serving students in grades 9-12. Pittsburg High School is one of two high schools in Pittsburg, KS and is the largest high school in southeast Kansas and the Greater Pittsburg Area. The school colors are purple and white and the school mascot is the Dragon.
Pittsburg High School was established in 1887, making it one of the oldest high schools in the state of Kansas. Pittsburg High is a member of the Kansas State High School Activities Association and offers a variety of sports programs. Athletic teams compete in the 5A division and are known as the "Dragons".
Pittsburg High School offers many different sports and extracurricular programs for its students. Some of the programs include: football, basketball (men's and women's), volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, wrestling, dance team, and cheer-leading. The Purple Dragons are classified as a 5A school according to the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Additionally, the Purple Dragons have won multiple district and state championships in both athletic and non-athletic programs.
Track and Field
Track and Field was established at Pittsburg High shortly after the school was founded. Throughout the years, many students have won individual state titles and have set numerous school records.
Wrestling is a sport offered at Pittsburg High. In 2007, Tyler Koehn won the state title in the 152 lb division. Beau Bennett won the Class 5A state championship at 285 pounds in 2009. Broc Bennett won the 4A 285 pound state title in 2011.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Football||4||1954, 1983, 1988, 1990|
Pittsburg High School has won two state scholars bowl championships, in 2006 and 2007.
Pittsburg High School has also produced several state champions in chess.
|Name||Number of Championships||Year|
|Digeng Du||2||2001, 2002|
|Type||Number of Championships||Year|
|Extemporaneous Speaking||2||2000, 2008|
In 2010, Pittsburg High School's fall play, Crimes of the Heart, tied for first place in a statewide theatre competition. The show was performed at the Kansas State Thespian Conference in January 2011.
- Brad Franchione (1992), college football coach
- Hugh Gillin (1943), actor
- Dylan Meier (2002), former Kansas State quarterback
- Kerry Meier (2005), former NFL wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons, former quarterback/slotback for the University of Kansas
- Shad Meier (1996), retired NFL tight end who played for the Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints
- Russ Pennell (1979), head men's basketball coach at Grand Canyon University
- Bill Russell (1966), former shortstop, coach, and manager for the Los Angeles Dodgers 
- Gary Zukav (1960), New York Times bestselling author and frequent guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show 
- GNIS for Pittsburg High School; USGS; June 11, 2008.
- USD 250
- USD 250 Administration
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "School Search - Pittsburg HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List
- "Huskers Sign Five to 2008-09 Wrestling Squad" (English). Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "TOP 10 OF '10: Pittsburg High wrestling 8th at state tourney in 2010" (English). Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "State Records & State Champions" (English). Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- NASA Press Release; 2000
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pittsburg High School.|