Pittsburg State Gorillas
|Pittsburg State Gorillas|
|University||Pittsburg State University|
|Athletic director||Jim Johnson|
|Football stadium||Brandenburg Field at Carnie Smith Stadium|
|Basketball arena||John Lance Arena|
|Mascot||GUS the Gorilla|
|Fight song||"On to Victory!"|
|Colors||Crimson and Gold
The Pittsburg State Gorillas are the sports teams of Pittsburg State University located in Pittsburg, Kansas. They participate in the NCAA Division II and in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA).
The Pitt State football program began in 1908 under head coach Albert McLeland. Since that time, the program has produced the most wins in NCAA Division II history. It has been National Champions on four occasions; 1957,1961,1991 and 2011. Pittsburg State defeated Wayne State University, MI, 35-21 to claim its most recent national championship in 2011. During the 2004 season, the Gorillas finished 14-1, losing 31-36 to Valdosta State University in the NCAA Division II National Football Championship. Pittsburg State has won, outright or shared, a total of 27 conference championships during the 96-year history of its intercollegiate program, including 13 conference titles in the last 19 seasons under Coach Chuck Broyles PSU reached the Division II National Championship game in 2004, 1995, and 1992. Its games with fellow MIAA Division II powerhouse Northwest Missouri State University are played at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, in the Fall Classic at Arrowhead. 26,695 attended the 2002 game—the most of any Division II game.
The official mascot of Pitt State Athletic teams is GUS the Gorilla, designed in by L. Michael Hailey in 1985. Pitt State is the only college in the nation with the Gorilla as its official mascot for its men's and women's teams.
- John Brown, NFL wide receiver, Arizona Cardinals
- Eldon Danenhauer, Offensive tackle for the Denver Broncos.
- Ralph Earhart, former Green Bay Packers halfback
- Dennis Franchione, current head football coach of Texas State University (and former coach of Pittsburg State)
- Kendall Gammon, former Kansas City Chiefs longsnapper (currently employed by Pittsburg State)
- Don Gutteridge, Major League Baseball player and Manager
- Sherm Lollar, Major League Baseball player
- Ronald Moore, former NFL running back, 1992 Harlon Hill Trophy winner
- Brian Moorman, former NFL punter, Buffalo Bills
- Germaine Race, former NFL running back, San Diego Chargers
- Pittsburg State University Brand Identity Standards Manual (PDF). Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Members: Pittsburg State University". 2010. Retrieved Oct 29, 2013.
- "Fall Classic". goarrowhead.com.
- "Pittsburg State Gorillas". Pittsburg State University.
- "Welcome to TeamKong". teamkong.net.