Pittsford Central School District
|Pittsford Central School District|
|75 Barker Road
Pittsford NY 14534
Parts of Monroe and Ontario County, New York
|"Excellence Today and Tomorrow"|
|Superintendent||Michael D. Pero|
|Accreditation(s)||New York State Education Department|
|Schools||Five elementary schools (K–5)
Two middle schools (6–8)
Two senior high schools (9–12)
|Students and staff|
|Unions||NYSUT, Pittsford District Teachers Association|
The Pittsford Central School District is a public school district in New York State that serves approximately 5,980 students in the towns of Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield, Mendon, and Brighton in Monroe County; and Victor in Ontario County with approximately 800 employees and an operating budget in 2013–2014 of $117,251,229(~$19,607 per student).
Centralized in 1946, the Pittsford Central School District celebrated 60 Years of Excellence in 2006. The District is one of the top school districts in the county, the state and the nation. Its programs, staff and curriculum are considered among the best available in schools anywhere.
Michael D. Pero is the Superintendent of Schools, who replaced Mary Alice Price in 2013. Pero previously served as the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and as principal of Barker Road Middle School.
The District's motto is "Excellence Today and Tomorrow".
Board of education
The Board of Education consists of seven, non-paid, elected members who reside in the Pittsford Central School District. Members serve 3-year terms. Elections are held each May for board members and to vote on the School District Budget.
Board members for the 2013–2014 school year are:
- Kim McCluski, President
- Peter Sullivan, Vice President
- Ray Brown
- Brent Kecskemety
- Irene Feldman Narotsky
- Alka Phatak
- Amy J. Thomas
|Richard D. Hibschman||1975–1988|
|Peter P. Horoschak||1988–1992|
|John P. O'Rourke||1992–2000|
|Everett L. Larrabee||2000–2001|
|John J. Eckhardt||2001–2002 (interim)|
|Mary Alice Price||2002–2013|
|Michael D. Pero||2013–present|
The Pittsford Central School District operates five elementary, two middle and two high schools across the District. By convention, the District names schools for the road on which they are located.
A major remodeling and construction program was undertaken in 2004. This involved modernization of existing buildings, expansion of Sutherland High School, and the construction of the new Calkins Road Middle School. The Sutherland High School remodeling was completed in 2007, while the construction of Calkins Road Middle School was completed in time for the 2006–2007 school year.
- Allen Creek Elementary (ACE)
- Jefferson Road Elementary School (JRE)
- Mendon Center Elementary School (MCE)
- Park Road Elementary School (PRE)
- Thornell Road Elementary School (TRE)
- Barker Road Middle School (BRMS)
- Calkins Road Middle School (CRMS)
The Pittsford School District is roughly divided into a northern and a southern half, and most students follow an attendance path through the schools based on where they live.
- North --> Elementary: AC, JR, and the northern half of MC --> Middle: CRMS --> High: SHS
- South --> Elementary: PR, TR, and the southern half of MC --> Middle: BRMS --> High: MHS
- Lincoln Avenue School - This original district school building, located in the Village of Pittsford, is no longer used as a school. It belongs to the Town of Pittsford and is used for offices, meetings and recreational activities.
In 2013, the Pittsford Central School District was recognized as the No.1 district in upstate New York by the Albany Business Journal, as part of its Schools Report for 2013. Schools from 50 counties and 455 districts were evaluated based on a variety of factors, including graduation rates and performances on Regents exams.
The Pittsford Central School District was named as the best district among the 67 surrounding districts, for the fourth year in a row by Buffalo's Business First in 2013.
Pittsford Mendon High School and Sutherland High School were commended for their Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) programs by U.S. News & World Report. Mendon was ranked nationally at No. 107 and Sutherland was ranked No. 23 (The STEM Index showed only eight points separating the two schools).
Both Mendon High School and Sutherland High School were nationally ranked in 2012 and 2013 by The Washington Post, Newsweek and U.S. News and World Report.
Mendon High School and Sutherland High School were the top two high schools among the 67 surrounding western New York districts in 2012, according to Buffalo's Business First.
In 2012, both Barker Road Middle School and Calkins Road Middle School were named as Schools to Watch.
Barker Road Middle School and Calkins Road Middle School were named as the top two middle schools among 67 western New York districts by Buffalo's Business First in 2012.
Barker Road Middle School was recognized as a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education in 2012.
In 2012, Allen Creek Elementary School was named a National School of Character.
All five Pittsford elementary schools were ranked in the top 20 of elementary schools in 67 western New York districts, according to Buffalo's Business First.
Pittsford students rank high academically in standard and specialized tests. More than 97% of Pittsford students graduate with an Honors diploma. A high percentage move on to college.
In June 2007, the American Music Conference recognized the district as being among the 2007 "Best 100 Communities for Music Education"
- Facts and Figures on Monroe County School Districts, Brighton, New York: Monroe County School Boards Association, 2012, p. 30, OCLC 4891330
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Pittsford Central School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Pittsford Central School District Budget Information 2006
- 2007 Facts & Figures booklet, Monroe County School Boards Association MCSBA
- The Complete List: 1,200 Top U.S. Schools, Newsweek May 8, 2006
- "America's Best High Schools", Newsweek, August 5, 2005
- "Board Members". District website. Pittsford, New York: Pittsford Central School District. 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- "The 2007 "Best 100 Communities for Music Education" Roster". American Music Conference. 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- Pittsford School District News, Winter 2007