|Colors||Chalk, Charcoal, Sage|
|Model||GX7AS, GB62Z, G1AZG|
|First released||July 21, 2022|
|Availability by region|
|Units sold||5 million|
Pixel 6 Pro
|Mass||178 g (6.3 oz)|
|System-on-chip||Google Tensor (5 nm)|
|CPU||Octa-core (2x2.80 GHz Cortex-X1 & 2x2.25 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4x1.80 GHz Cortex-A55)|
|Memory||6 GB RAM|
|Storage||128 GB UFS 3.1|
|Removable storage||No removable storage|
|SIM||Dual Sim, Nano-SIM and eSIM|
|Battery||Li-Po 4410 mAh|
|Charging||Fast charging 18W|
|External display||Always on|
|Water resistance||IP67, up to 1 m (3.3 ft) for 30 minutes|
|Website||Google Pixel 6a at the Wayback Machine (archived August 3, 2022)|
The Google Pixel 6a is an Android smartphone designed, developed, and marketed by Google as part of the Google Pixel product line. It serves as a mid-range variant of the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro. The device was announced on May 11, 2022 as part of Google I/O's keynote speech.
The Pixel 6a is built with an aluminum frame, a plastic back and Gorilla Glass 3 for the screen. The design includes a camera bar and two-tone color scheme on the back similar to the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro. The device is available in Chalk, Charcoal, and Sage. It has stereo loudspeakers, one located on the bottom edge and the other doubling as the earpiece. A USB-C port is used for charging and connecting other accessories.
The Pixel 6a includes dual rear-facing cameras. The wide 27 mm f/1.7 lens has the Sony Exmor IMX363 12.2-megapixel sensor, while the ultrawide 114 °F/2.2 lens has a 12-megapixel sensor; the front-facing camera uses an 8-megapixel sensor. It is capable of recording 4K video at 30 or 60 fps.
The Pixel 6a ships with Android 12 at launch, coinciding with the stable release of Android 12 on the Android Open Source Project. It is expected to receive 3 years of major OS upgrades and 5 years of security updates. The device received an update with a bootloader to activate modding in the first weeks after its release.
In the United States it was released on July 21, 2022. In India it was released on July 28, 2022.
The Pixel 6a garnered overwhelming praise upon its release, with particular praise toward its value proposition, sustainability, design, cameras, and "flagship-level" performance through Google's proprietary Tensor system-on-chip. Reviewers, however, lamented the lack of a microSD card slot and a headphone jack, as well as the standard 60 Hz refresh rate screen which they felt was not competitive for its class. Some felt that Google did not deliver on the battery endurance as advertised, saying the device's battery would drain quickly within 24 hours of heavy use and was slow to charge. Likewise, others found that the device would run unusually hot both between charges and moderate to heavy use, during which they detected major thermal throttling both under a series of stress tests and when playing CPU-intensive titles, such as Genshin Impact.[a]
The fingerprint sensor had security issues where it recognized non-registered fingerprints. The device makes use of a different optical fingerprint sensor than the ones found on the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro devices, and the issue seems to be unique to the Pixel 6a in particular. A software update was released in mid-September 2022 to address these issues.
- "Pixel 6a Tech Specs". Google Store. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- "Pixel phone hardware tech specs". Google Support.
- "Google Pixel 6a". GSMArena. 11 May 2022.
- "Google I/O 2022". io.google. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- "Pixel 6a: More of what you want for less than you expect". Google. 2022-05-11. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- "Google unveils Pixel 6a with Tensor chipset for $449". GSMArena. 11 May 2022.
- Johnson, Allison (2022-05-11). "The Pixel 6A includes Google's Tensor chipset and costs $449". The Verge. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- Schoon, Ben (2022-05-11). "Google Pixel 6a specs: Tensor chip, 6GB RAM, 12MP camera, no headphone jack". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- Bonifacic, Igor (October 4, 2021). "Android 12 has been released to the Android Open Source Project". Engadget. Archived from the original on October 4, 2021. Retrieved April 5, 2022.
- "Learn when you'll get Android updates on Google Pixel phones & Nexus devices - Pixel Phone Help".
- Blumenthal, Eli. "Google's Cheaper Pixel 6A Looks Promising for $449". CNET. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- Roth, Emma (31 July 2022). "The Pixel 6A is getting an immediate update to make sure it's moddable". The Verge. Retrieved 31 July 2022.
- Burrell, Henry (28 July 2022). "Google Pixel 6a review". Tech Advisor. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Low, Cherlynn (21 July 2022). "Google Pixel 6a review: The tiny Pixel phone I've been hoping for". Engadget. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Johnson, Allison (27 July 2022). "Google Pixel 6A review: midrange parts, Tensor smarts". The Verge. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Bedford, Tom (28 July 2022). "Google Pixel 6a review". TechRadar.
- Knapp, Mark (15 August 2022). "Google Pixel 6a - Review". IGN. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Gibbs, Samuel (22 July 2022). "Google Pixel 6a review: this mid-range master is a true bargain". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Eadiccico, Lisa (30 July 2022). "Google Pixel 6A Review: The Best Budget Pixel Yet". CNET. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Murodock, Jason. "Google Pixel 6a review: the best value Android phone, now at its lowest price ever". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Conway, Adam (19 February 2023). "Google Pixel 6a Review: Changing the mid-range Pixel philosophy". XDA Developers. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Sarwar, Nadeem (19 February 2023). "The Pixel 6a should be an amazing $450 gaming phone, but it isn't". Digital Trends. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- Early Pixel 6a users report big security issue with the fingerprint sensor
- Pixel 6a’s fingerprint scanner seems to have a major issue
- Wilde, Damien (2022-05-13). "The Pixel 6a will use a different in-display fingerprint scanner to the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2022-08-01.
- Google Pixel 6a fingerprint sensor problems persist after launch
- Li, Abner (2022-09-12). "Pixel 6a September update rolling out with fingerprint sensor 'improvements'". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2022-09-21.
- "Google Pixel Update - September 2022 - Google Pixel Community". support.google.com. Retrieved 2022-09-21.