Piyush Pandey is the Executive Chairman and Creative Director of Ogilvy South Asia. The Government of India awarded him the civilian honor of the Padma Shri in 2016. Under his leadership, Ogilvy India has been ranked the No.1 Agency for 12 consecutive years in the Agency Reckoner, an independent Marketing & Advertising Survey conducted by The Economic Times and Brand Equity.
Early life and education
Pandey was born in Jaipur in 1955 and played for the Ranji Trophy. He worked as a tea taster. Pandey studied at St. Xavier's School, Jaipur and has an MA from St Stephen's College, Delhi. He is a Post Graduate in History from the University of Delhi. He is the brother of singer Ila Arun and Prasoon Pandey.
Pandey joined Ogilvy as an Account Director but was soon identified as someone with potential in creative so he was moved to the creative department at Ogilvy. Three years later he was promoted to creative director, and then to national creative director. Pandey was nominated to the board of directors in 1994.
During his tenure Ogilvy & Mather became the largest advertising agency in India, and Ogilvy India is considered one of the most creative offices in the Ogilvy worldwide network. In September 2006, Pandey was nominated to the Ogilvy Worldwide board. He mentors creative executives from around the world at the Berlin School of Creative Leadership.
Advertising campaigns and contributions
Notable ad campaigns in India designed by Pandey include:
- "mera desh badal raha hai, aage badh raha hai" BJP government campaign outlining achievements made in first two years by the Modi Government.
- Bharatiya Janata Party campaign for Indian general election, 2014 with Prasoon Joshi and Abir Chatterjee
- Fevicol ad campaigns - Fevicol Bus, Fevicol Fish,
- Fevikwik ad campaigns
- Chal Meri Luna
- Cadbury Dairy Milk ad campaigns
- Vodafone ad campaigns - Pug, ZooZoos
- Asian Paints ad campaigns
- Campaigns for Indian tourism
- Bell Bajao ad campaign
- Anti-smoking campaign for the Cancer Patients Association
- Rath Vanaspati
- Fortune Oil
- Google - Reunion
- The Hindu
Awards and achievements
Pandey has won a number of awards. He was named the most influential man in Indian advertising for eight consecutive years by The Economic Times. In 2000, the Ad Club of Mumbai voted his commercial for Fevikwik the commercial of the century and his work for Cadbury the campaign of the century. Pandey was voted Asia's Creative Person of the Year at the Media Asia Awards 2002. He is the only Indian to win a double gold at Cannes (for his Cancer Patients Association anti-smoking campaign) and a triple grand prize at the London International Awards. During Pandey's tenure, O&M India won 25 lions at Cannes. In 2002, he won India's first Silver Pencil at The One Show Awards.
He was invited to be a jury member on the 2000 Clio Awards, at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival and was the first Asian jury president for outdoor and press and film at the 2004 Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival. He was invited to judge the 2007 Asia Pacific Advertising Festival Awards. Pandey received a lifetime achievement award in 2010 from the Advertising Agencies Association of India. Piyush Pandey won a Clio Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding work and creative achievements in 2012  The Government of India awarded him the civilian honour of the Padma Shri in 2016.
In June 2018, Piyush Pandey and his brother Prasoon Pandey (Corcoise Films) won the Lions lifetime achievement award of St Mark at Cannes Advertising Festival, France.
WPP agency Ogilvy on Wednesday promoted Piyush Pandey, executive chairman and creative director, Ogilvy South Asia, as its worldwide chief creative officer.
By this move, the company filled up a key position that was lying vacant since the exit of its erstwhile creative head Tham Khai Meng in July. The appointment takes effect from January 1.
- "Padma Awards 2016". Press Information Bureau, Government of India. 2016. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
- "Speaker Profiles". Advertising Agencies Association of India. Archived from the original on 25 November 2005. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- ""Building Brands is like bringing up your child, Piyush Pandey". Views Journal. Archived from the original on April 30, 2011. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Ogilvy's Piyush Pandey gets lifetime achievement award". Adgully Bureaur. Archived from the original on March 3, 2011. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Gupta, Priya (14 July 2013). "India's ad gurus in Shoojit Sircar's 'Madras Café'". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- Profile, Berlin School of Creative Leadership, berlin-school.com[dead link]
- "PIYUSH PANDEY". CMO Asia. Archived from the original on 2 August 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Piyush PANDEY". Cresta-Awards Jury Detail. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Piyush Pandey receives AAAI Lifetime Achievement Award". Campaign India. Archived from the original on December 26, 2010. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Piyush Pandey wins Clio Lifetime Achievement Award - Firstpost". www.firstpost.com. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "Cannes Lions awards lifetime achievement to Piyush & Prasoon Pandey". Indian Television Dot Com. 2017-12-14. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- Piyush Pandey on IMDb
- Piyush Pndey Profile, Eventfulndia
- Biography of Piyush Pandey on gomolo.in
- Official Oglivy News Document
- Business Standard: Interview with Piyush Pandey
- Brain Behind Brands by Telegraph India
- Piyush Pandey
- Piyush Pandey-Profiles by India Inc
- Silvers of the year, Piyush Pandey, 51