Piyush Pandey is an award-winning co-executive chairman and national creative director of Ogilvy & Mather India and vice-chairman of O&M Asia-Pacific.
Early life and education
Pandey was born in Jaipur in 1955, and played for the Ranji Trophy. He worked as a tea taster.[not in citation given] Pandey studied at St. Xavier's School, Jaipur and has an MA from St Stephen's College, Delhi. He is a Post Graduate in History from the University of Delhi.
Pandey joined McAleer and Keenor's company in 1982, and in 1989 he moved to the creative department at O&M. Three years later he was promoted to creative director, and then to national creative director. Pandey was nominated to the board of directors in 1995, and in 2004 was appointed executive chairman for Ogilvy India and South Asia. He later became vice-chairman of Ogilvy Asia-Pacific.
During his tenure Oglivy & Mather became the third-largest advertising agency in India, and Ogilvy India is considered one of the most creative offices in the Ogilvy network. In September 2006, Pandey was nominated to the Ogilvy worldwide board. He mentors creative executives from around the world at the Berlin School of Creative Leadership.
Advertising campaigns and contributions
Notable ad campaigns in India designed by Pandey include:
- Bharatiya Janata Party campaign for Indian general election, 2014 with Prasoon Joshi and Abir Chatterjee
- Fevicol ad campaigns
- Fevikwik ad campaigns
- Cadbury Dairy Milk ad campaigns
- Vodafone ad campaigns
- Asian Paints ad campaigns
- Campaigns for Indian tourism
- Bell Bajao ad campaign
- Anti-smoking campaign for the Cancer Patients Association
- Rath Vanaspati
- Kinetic Luna
- The Hindu
Awards and achievements
Pandey has won a number of awards. He was named the most influential man in Indian advertising for eight consecutive years by The Economic Times. In 2000, the Ad Club of Mumbai voted his commercial for Fevikwik the commercial of the century and his work for Cadbury the campaign of the century. Pandey was voted Asia's Creative Person of the Year at the Media Asia Awards 2002. He is the only Indian to win a double gold at Cannes (for his Cancer Patients Association anti-smoking campaign) and a triple grand prize at the London International Awards. During Pandey's tenure, O&M India won 25 lions at Cannes. In 2002, he won India's first Silver Pencil at The One Show Awards. Pandey received a lifetime achievement award in 2010 from the Advertising Agencies Association of India.
He was invited to be a jury member on the 2000 Clio Awards, at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival and was the first Asian jury president for outdoor and press and film at the 2004 Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival. He was invited to judge the 2007 Asia Pacific Advertising Festival Awards.
- "Piyush Pandey, Advisory Board Member". Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Piyush Pandey, cmoasia.org[dead link]
- "Speaker Profiles". Advertising Agencies Association of India. Retrieved 12 July 2011.[dead link]
- "Building Brands Is Like Bringing Up Your Child, Piyush Pandey". Views Journal. Retrieved 12 July 2011.[dead link]
- "Ogilvy’s Piyush Pandey gets lifetime achievement award". Adgully Bureaur. Retrieved 12 July 2011.[dead link]
- Profile, Berlin School of Creative Leadership, berlin-school.com[dead link]
- "PIYUSH PANDEY". CMO Asia. Retrieved 12 July 2011.[dead link]
- "Piyush PANDEY". Cresta-Awards Jury Detail. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Piyush Pandey receives AAAI Lifetime Achievement Award". Campaign India. Retrieved 12 July 2011.[dead link]
- Piyush Pandey at the Internet Movie Database
- Piyush Pndey Profile, Eventfulndia
- Biography of Piyush Pandey on gomolo.in
- Official Oglivy News Document
- Business Standard: Interview with Piyush Pandey
- Brain Behind Brands by Telegraph India
- Piyush Pandey
- Piyush Pandey-Profiles by India Inc
- Silvers of the year, Piyush Pandey, 51
- Statesman, The. "Crafting Creativity".