Piz Daint (supercomputer)
(upgraded November 2016)
|Location||Swiss National Supercomputing Centre|
|Architecture||Intel Xeon E5-26xx (various) , Nvidia Tesla P100|
|Operating system||Linux (CLE)|
|Speed||25.326 PFLOPS (LINPACK)|
|Ranking||TOP500: 3rd, as of June 2017[update]|
It was ranked 8th on the TOP500 ranking of supercomputers until the end of 2015, higher than any other supercomputer in Europe. At the end of 2016, the computing performance of Piz Daint was tripled to reach 25 petaflops; it thus became the third most powerful supercomputer in the world, after Sunway TaihuLight and Tianhe-2.
The original Piz Daint Cray XC30 system was installed in December 2012. This system was extended with Piz Dora, a Cray XC40 with 1256 compute nodes, in 2013. In October 2016, Piz Daint and Piz Dora were upgraded and combined into the current Cray XC50/XC40 system featuring Nvidia Tesla P100 GPUs. According to the TOP500 website, the new system is the "second most energy-efficient supercomputer" on their list, behind an Nvidia system that also uses P100 GPUs.
- "TOP500 list refreshed, US edged out of third place", TOP500, 19 June 2017 (page visited on 19 June 2017).
- November 2016 TOP500 Supercomputer Sites
- "“Piz Daint”, one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world", Swiss National Supercomputing Centre, 19 June 2017 (page visited on 19 June 2017).
- Anna Maltsev and Felix Würsten, "Piz Daint is a world leader", ETH Zurich, 19 June 2017 (page visited on 19 June 2017).
- (in French) "Un superordinateur suisse au 3e rang mondial des machines de pointe", Swissinfo, 19 June 2017 (page visited on 19 June 2017).
- CSCS: Piz Daint Archived 2014-03-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- CSCS: Piz Daint & Piz Dora