|Town and Commune|
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Tulio Contreras Álvarez|
|• Total||146.9 km2 (56.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||234 m (768 ft)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||56/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||(+56) 72|
|Website||Municipality of Placilla|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Placilla spans an area of 146.9 km2 (57 sq mi) and has 8,078 inhabitants (4,134 men and 3,944 women). Of these, 2,114 (26.2%) lived in urban areas and 5,964 (73.8%) in rural areas. The population grew by 3.6% (279 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Placilla is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012–2016 mayor was José Joaquín Latorre Muñoz (PDC); Latorre, however, died as a consequence of a car crash on 22 July 2013. Latorre had previously held the mayoral office between 1992 and 2008. He was succeeded by Tulio Contreras Álvarez, a member of the local council.
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Placilla is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Mr. Ramón Barros (UDI) and Mr. Juan Carlos Latorre (PDC) as part of the 35th electoral district, (together with Nancagua, Chépica, Santa Cruz, Lolol, Pumanque, Palmilla, Peralillo, Navidad, Litueche, La Estrella, Pichilemu, Marchihue and Paredones). The commune is represented in the Senate by Andrés Chadwick Piñera (UDI) and Juan Pablo Letelier Morel (PS) as part of the 9th senatorial constituency (O'Higgins Region).
- "Municipality of Placilla" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Falleció alcalde de Placilla luego de protagonizar accidente de tránsito". El Rancagüino (in Spanish). Rancagua, Chile: Sociedad Informativa Regional. 22 July 2013. Archived from the original on 22 July 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- (Spanish) Municipality of Placilla