Plain vanilla is an adjective describing the simplest version of something, without any optional extras, basic or ordinary. In analogy with the common ice cream flavour vanilla, which became widely and cheaply available with the development of artificial vanillin flavour. Certain financial instruments, such as put options or call options, are often described as plain vanilla options. The opposite of plain vanilla options are exotic options.
- Vanilla software, is a computer software which is not customized.
- Vanilla sex, sexual behavior which a culture regards as standard or conventional.
- plain vanilla in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000. "Informal Lacking adornments or special features; basic or ordinary: “plain vanilla stock options; a plain vanilla wardrobe.”"
- Hilden, Katri; Robinson, Tim; Currie, Lee; Hutchinson, Emma (2006). Iced: 180 Very Cool Concoctions. Murdoch Books. p. 15. ISBN 978-1-74045-818-4. Archived from the original on 1 January 2014. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
Vanilla has become a synonymous with 'plain'- perhaps most vanilla ice cream is flavoured with fake vanilla extract
- Plain vanilla on www.investopedia.com Archived 2008-05-21 at the Wayback Machine