Plaines Wilhems District
Trou aux Cerfs volcano
Map of Mauritius island with Plaines Wilhems District highlighted
|• Total||203.3 km2 (78.5 sq mi)|
|• Rank||1st in Mauritius|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (MUT)|
|ISO 3166 code||MU-PW (Plaines Wilhems)|
Plaines Wilhems (Creole pronunciation: [plɛn wilɛmz]) is a district of Mauritius. It is the most populous district, with its population estimated at 368,621 as of 31 December 2015[update]. The district is mainly urban; it consists of four towns, the village of Midlands and part of two other villages. The Plaines Wilhems district does not have a District Council; it has four Municipal Town Councils. The towns are Beau-Bassin Rose-Hill, Curepipe, Quatre Bornes and Vacoas-Phoenix. The villages are Midlands, Cascavelle (East - West in Rivière Noire district) and Moka (West- East in Moka district). The district was named after Wilhem Leicknig. Of Prussian origin, he settled on the island of Mauritius, then known as Isle de France, in 1721.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2015)
Secondary schools in the district include:
- Lycée La Bourdonnais - Curepipe
- Lycée des Mascareignes- Moka
- Royal College Curepipe - Curepipe
- Royal College Port-Louis - Port-Louis
- Queen Elizabeth College - Beau-Bassin Rose-Hill
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plaines Wilhems District.|
- Ministry of Finance & Economic Development (2016). "ANNUAL DIGEST OF STATISTICS 2015" (PDF). August. Government of Mauritius: 22. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Ministry of Local Government and Outer Islands. "Local Government Act 2011" (PDF). Government of Mauritius. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Statistic office of Mauritius (2011). "Housing and population Census 2011" (PDF). Government of Mauritius. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "History of Quatre Bornes". Municipal Council of Quatre Bornes. Archived from the original on 9 August 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Home page. Lycée La Bourdonnais. Retrieved on May 4, 2015. "Rue Rochecouste - Forest Side - Curepipe - MAURICE"
|This Mauritius location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|