Plaines Wilhems District
Map of Mauritius island with Plaines Wilhems District highlighted
|• Total||203.3 km2 (78.5 sq mi)|
|• Rank||1st in Mauritius|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MUT (UTC+4)|
|ISO 3166 code||MU-PW (Plaines Wilhems)|
Plaines Wilhems is a district of Mauritius. It is the most populous district, with its population estimated at 368,621 as of 31 December 2015[update]. The district is mainly urban; it consists of four towns, the village of Midlands and part of two other villages. The Plaines Wilhems district does not have a District Council; it has four Municipal Town Councils. The towns are Beau-Bassin Rose-Hill, Curepipe, Quatre Bornes and Vacoas-Phoenix. The villages are Midlands, Cascavelle (East - West in Rivière Noire district) and Moka (West- East in Moka district). The district was named after Wilhem Leicknig. Of Prussian origin, he settled on the island of Mauritius, then known as Isle de France, in 1721.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2015)|
Secondary schools in the district include:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plaines Wilhems District.|
- Ministry of Finance & Economic Development (2016). "ANNUAL DIGEST OF STATISTICS 2015" (PDF). August. Government of Mauritius: 22. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Ministry of Local Government and Outer Islands. "Local Government Act 2011" (PDF). Government of Mauritius. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Statistic office of Mauritius (2011). "Housing and population Census 2011" (PDF). Government of Mauritius. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "History of Quatre Bornes". Municipal Council of Quatre Bornes. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Home page. Lycée La Bourdonnais. Retrieved on May 4, 2015. "Rue Rochecouste - Forest Side - Curepipe - MAURICE"
|Black River||Grand Port|