Plainfield Central High School
|Plainfield High School - Central Campus|
|24120 W. Fort Beggs Drive
Plainfield, Illinois 60544
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202|
|Superintendent||Dr. Lane Abrell |
|Principal||Dave Stephens |
|Average class size||23|
|Fight song||"When the Cats Begin to Fight"|
|Athletics conference||Southwest Prairie Conference|
Plainfield High School - Central Campus, or PHS-CC, is a four-year public high school in Plainfield, Illinois, a southwest suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. It is part of Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202, which also includes three other high schools: Plainfield South High School, Plainfield North High School and Plainfield East High School.
The original building was destroyed by one of the worst tornadoes in Illinois history. The Plainfield Tornado, which was rated an F5, struck the town on August 28, 1990, one day before classes were scheduled to begin. Three faculty and staff members lost their lives. Had school been in session, casualties could have been even more grave, as the tornado hit the school directly. In the middle of the 1992–1993 school year students moved into the new PHS building. At the time, it was one of the most technically advanced high schools in the state of Illinois, complete with its own observatory.
In 2005, the school constructed a new snack building and restrooms on the south end of the football–track stadium. In 2007, a new home grandstand was constructed, replacing the visitors' seating on the west side of the football field, and the former home grandstand was converted into visitor seating. The new home grandstand was built using only steel, contrasting with the former home seating which was constructed of brick and concrete. The grandstand opening had been planned for the pre-season 'Green and White Night' event, but construction set-backs led to its opening about one month late.
Also in 2007, the faculty installed over 300 high-resolution wireless cameras to monitor the campus. New computer security measures were implemented which block some internet proxy servers, game-related sites, and other sites that the school district felt distracted their students from the educational process (like Wikipedia). The school replaced all its computers and monitors with Dell computers with LCD screens. In the 2008-2009 school year, classroom projectors that could display what was on the current teacher's computer were installed.
On June 9, 2008, severe weather resulted in damage to the tennis court fences and school roof. There were no confirmed reports of a tornado.
Athletics & Activities
Plainfield Central competes in the Southwest Prairie Conference and is a member of the Illinois High School Association. The school fields teams in the following sports during the following seasons.
- Fall: Boys & Girls Cross Country, Boys Football, Boys & Girls Golf, Boys Soccer, Girls Swimming & Diving, Girls Tennis, Girls Volleyball
- Winter: Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys & Girls Bowling, Boys Swimming & Diving, Boys Wrestling, Competitive Cheerleading, Competitive Dance
- Spring: Boys Baseball, Boys Tennis, Boys Track & Field, Boys Volleyball, Girls Badminton, Girls Softball, Girls Soccer, Girls Track & Field
Despite being able to trace its existence back to 1891, Plainfield Central has never won a team state championship.
Hall of Fame
In the spring of 1998, the high school established its athletic hall of fame to honor athletes, coaches, boosters, and fans who have made significant contributions to the athletic programs. The first class was inducted in 1999.
|1937 Football Team|
|Jenny (Larson) Smeets||Athlete|
|2005||1982 Girls Volleyball Team|
|1953 Football Team|
|2008||1983 Softball Team|
|2010||2000 Football team|
Plainfield Central competes in the following IHSA sponsored activities:
- Bass Fishing
- Marching Band
- Scholastic Bowl
Clubs and organizations
Plainfield Central has the following clubs and organizations:
- Armed Forces Club
- Art Club
- Bio Explorations
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- French Club
- German Club
- Green and White Review
- History Through Film Club
- Interact Club
- Key Club
- Lacrosse Club
- Link Crew
- Math Competition Club
- National Honor Society
- Orchesis Dance Company
- Promoting Equality and Acceptance at Central for Everyone (P.E.A.C.E)
- Spanish Club
- Student Council
- Tech Crew
- The Fielder - school newspaper
- "District Administration". Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "About PCHS". Plainfield Central High School. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- "Illinois School Report Card". Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). 2015. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Plainfield (Central)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). April 30, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Plainfield Central HS". Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Plainfield Central High School Clubs and Organizations". Retrieved May 28, 2016.