St Peter's Church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||SO51 6|
|Police||Hampshire and Isle of Wight|
|Fire||Hampshire and Isle of Wight|
Plaitford is a small village and former civil parish, now in the parish of Melchet Park and Plaitford, in the Test Valley district of Hampshire, England. Its nearest town is Romsey, which lies approximately 4.9 miles (7.8 km) east from the village; the large village of West Wellow is immediately west of Plaitford. In 1931 the parish had a population of 195.
Plaitford manor was anciently within the county of Wiltshire. By 1885 it had become a civil parish, which was transferred to Hampshire in 1895. On 1 April 1932, the parishes of Plaitford and Melchet Park (north of Plaitford and also formerly in Wiltshire) were amalgamated to form the parish of Melchet Park and Plaitford.
The original village of Plaitford lies to the north of the River Blackwater, a tributary of the River Test, but the chief part of the population is now found further south near the A36 road, which crosses the parish from east to west. Plaitford Green is a small district in the north of the parish. Plaitford Common, which occupies the southern portion of the parish, consists chiefly of rough grassland and is owned by the National Trust.
St Peter's Church
- "Population statistics Plaitford Ch/CP through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 20 May 2023.
- "Plaitford Ch/CP through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- Page, William, ed. (1911). "A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4 pp542-543 – Parishes: Plaitford". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Melchet Park and Plaitford CP through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Plaitford Common". Woodland Trust. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- O’Brien, Charles; Bailey, Bruce; Pevsner, Nikolaus; Lloyd, David W. (2018). The Buildings of England Hampshire: South. Yale University Press. pp. 423–424. ISBN 9780300225037.
Media related to Plaitford at Wikimedia Commons
- Plaitford history at plaitford.org