Planes, Trains and Eric
|Planes, Trains and Eric|
|Directed by||David Maxwell|
|Music by||Eric Clapton|
|Distributed by||Eagle Vision|
Planes, Trains and Eric is a documentary film about Eric Clapton's Mid and Far East Tour, which the British rock musician held in 2014. The recording provides a mixture of interviews, backstage footage and live concert performances by Clapton and his band as they travel through Japan, Singapore, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates. A second, alternative release title goes by the name of Planes, Trains and Eric: The Music, The Stories, The People – Mid and Far East Tour 2014. It was released on DVD and Blu-ray disc on November 4, 2014.
When Clapton announced in early 2014, that he had enough of the touring business and travel when turning 70, speculation from the news of the world started to ask Clapton for reasons and an answer. In the movie, Clapton says that the release of Planes, Trains and Eric honors Japan and his love affair with the Mid and Far East, if he should retire from touring. He also talked with his long-time Japanese friend of Udo Artist: "Stop playing in Japan will be tough for me, because I like coming here very much. But I would like to stop one day".
The film starts out with an interview with Clapton. After the conversation, "Tell the Truth" is being played by Clapton and his band that consists of Steve Gadd on drums, Nathan East on bass guitar and background vocals, Chris Stainton as the keyboardist, Paul Carrack as a background singer and Hammond organ player as well as Sharon White and Michelle John on backing vocals. As the film moves forward, interview sequences and live performances of Clapton and his band change in regular bases. Only a couple of times, backstage footage and soundchecks follow the live concert action. While playing in Japan, Clapton received a special recognition award from Udo Artists, commemorating Clapton's 200th show in Japan as well as a total of 83 performances at the Nippon Budokan. With 207 live performances in Japan, before leaving to Singapore in early 2014, Clapton is the international record holder with the most concerts played in Japan. If Clapton retires from the touring industry after his 70th birthday, that would come up, remains a mystery, although Clapton and the band talk frequently about the possibility.
|DVD track listing|
|1.||"Tell the Truth"||Eric Clapton · Bobby Whitlock|
|2.||"Pretending"||Jerry Lynn Williams|
|4.||"Driftin'"||Charles Brown · Johnny Moore · Eddie Williams|
|5.||"I Shot the Sheriff"||Bob Marley|
|6.||"Little Queen of Spades"||Robert Johnson|
|7.||"Layla"||Eric Clapton · Jim Gordon|
|8.||"Wonderful Tonight"||Eric Clapton|
|9.||"Key to the Highway"||William Broonzy · Charles Segar|
|10.||"Before You Accuse Me"||Bo Diddley|
|11.||"Tears in Heaven"||Eric Clapton · Will Jennings|
|13.||"Hoochie Coochie Man"||Willie Dixon|
|14.||"High Time We Went"||Joe Cocker · Chris Stainton|
|DVD Bonus tracks|
|15.||"Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out"||Jimmy Cox|
|16.||"Alabama Woman Blues"||Mayo Williams · Leroy Carr|
|Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung|||
The German online music retailer Jpc awarded the DVD release 4.5 out of possible five stars, which is rare for any music DVD to get a 4.5 rating from the store. The music critic Andreas Schiffmann from the German internet music rating platform Musikreviews.de calls the release a "three quarter highlight concerts with an amazing documentary in between about Eric Clapton in his golden age". Michael Donhauser, a journalist for the German newspaper Sächsische Zeitung notes, that this music documentary is "exceptionally formative" and goes on in his review, liking the "whole atmosphere" that is presented with this DVD. The review from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, written by Andreas Platthaus, says that the concert film pictures a "happy and motivated Eric Clapton". Platthaus went on with his positive-only review for the German newspaper. AllMusic user reviews turned out to be positive as well. No critic reviewed the video yet.
- "Planes, Trains and Eric: The Music, The Stories, The People – Mid and Far East Tour 2014 - Eric Clapton | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Back cover". Planes, Trains and Eric (DVD). Germany: Eagle Rock Vision. 2014. p. 2. EREDV1046.
- "Eric Clapton: Planes, Trains And Eric – Mid And Far East Tour 2014 (Blu-ray Disc) – jpc" (in German). Jpc.de. Retrieved August 14, 2015. Note: Make sure you use the form on "Kontakt" to see the "Personal Rating".
- Donhauer, Michael (2015). "Genie, Säufer und Stofflieferant für den Religionsunterricht". Sächsische Zeitung.
- Platthaus, Andreas (2015). "Von der Lichtgestalt des weißen Blues". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.
- Schiffmann, Andreas (2014). "Planes, Trains and Eric". Musikreviews.de – The Best of 2014 (in German). p. 12.
- "ARIA Australian Top 40 Music DVDs | Australia's Official Top 40 Music DVDs – ARIA Charts". Archived from the original on August 14, 2015. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "Austria Top 40 – Musik-DVD: 2014-11-14" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric - The Music, The Stories, The People [DVD]" (in Dutch). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric - The Music, The Stories, The People [DVD]" (in French). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric - The Music, The Stories, The People [DVD]" (in Dutch). Dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Meilleures ventes de DVD Musicaux en France le 03 novembre 2014 (albums de plus de 2 ans)". Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique (in French). chartsinfrance.net. Archived from the original on November 18, 2015. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "germancharts.com – Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric – The Music, The Stories, The People (DVD)". Media-Control-Charts (in German). Stefan Hung – Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "DVD Musicali" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. December 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "エリック・クラプトンのBlu-ray売上ランキング | ORICON STYLE". Archived from the original on August 21, 2015. Retrieved August 21, 2015.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "プレーンズ、トレインズ&エリック～ジャパン・ツアー2014【Tシャツ+オリジナル・データ・ブック付き BOX】1500セット限定 | エリック・クラプトン | ORICON STYLE". Archived from the original on August 21, 2015. Retrieved August 21, 2015.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Sverigetopplistan – Sveriges Officiella Topplista". IFPI Sverige (in Swedish). Sveriges Officiella Topplista. Retrieved August 14, 2015. Note: Search "Eric Clapton", then click on "Sök" to see the search results and press "Planes, Trains and Eric" afterwards to see the chart positions. Viewing the certifications here requires are beta access.
- "Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric – The Music, The Stories, The People (DVD) – swisscharts.com". Schweizer Hitparade (in German). Stefan Hung – Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Official Music Video Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Music Video Sales: 2014-11-22". Billboard. Retrieved August 14, 2015. (subscription required)
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 50 Audiovisual 2014". ARIA Charts. aria.com.au. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Jaaroverzichten – DVD Music 2014". MegaCharts (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl – Hung Medien. Retrieved August 14, 2015.