|Headquarters||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States|
Planet Smoothie is the third largest American chain of smoothie stores serving smoothies. The company was founded in 1995 by Martin Sprock in Atlanta, Georgia, and currently operates more than 100 locations. In November, 2011, Planet Smoothie was acquired by Tasti D-Lite LLC who also operates Tasti D-Lite stores. In June 2015, Quick-Service Restaurant Franchisor Kahala Brands purchased both Planet Smoothie and Tasti D-Lite in a deal that brings their 128 locations into the portfolio of about a dozen fast food, treat and sandwich chains such as Blimpie and Cold Stone Creamery owned by the Serruya family of Canada. Together, the Tasti D-Lite and Planet Smoothie locations will now be run from the Kahala Brands corporate headquarters in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The 22-market "Good for You, Good for the Planet" tour took Cupman coast-to-coast in a biodiesel converted ice cream truck designed to raise awareness of green issues in markets across the country.
Candidates were required to submit a video of why they felt they would make the best Cup Man for the 30-day green trek. Joel Moss Levinson, of Dayton, Ohio was named the winner. For Joel's winning entry, he wrote a song with lines such as “I wanna be your Cupman” and “I’m environmentally responsible, I recycle, reduce and reuse, that’s why I want to drive your car that runs on biodiesel fuel.” Joel garnered enough online votes to be chosen as the company's walking, talking, touring CupMan.
In 2008, Planet Smoothie, who served its smoothies in cups made of recycled polystyrene and offered the reusable "MacDaddy" insulated travel mug, sponsored a contest to encourage inventors to develop an eco-friendly solution to polystyrene, currently the only cup material in the marketplace that maintains a smoothie's frozen integrity.
Following the acquisition of the Planet Smoothie brand by Tasti D-Lite, several stores began to convert to a dual brand product mix, offering both smoothies and soft serve.
- "Raving Brands, Inc. Company History". FundingUniverse. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- "Franchise Directory". All Business.
- "Tasti D-Lite acquires Planet Smoothie". Networld Media Group. Archived from the original on 2013-06-30.
- "Kahala Brands Announces Purchase Of Planet Smoothie & Tasti D-Lite". 2015-06-02. Archived from the original on 2016-02-04. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Planet Smoothie to hit the road for the good of the globe". Nation's Restaurant News. Jan 15, 2007. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- "Planet Smoothie Issues a Call for Green Inventors With Its "New Year! New Look! New You!" Campaign". Earth Times. Archived from the original on 2012-08-19.
- "Planet Smoothie Now Accepting Online Auditions to Become Cup Man With the Launch of the National Program "Good for You. Good for the Planet. The Cup Man's Quest."". News Blaze. January 16, 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-03-03. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- "Internet Crush: Joel Moss Levinson". New York Daily News.
- Dempsey, Laura (April 1, 2008). "He's a real smoothie in a cup suit Dayton native Joel Moss mixes showbiz, environmentalism as drink company's roving mascot". Dayton Daily News.
- Clifford, Stephanie (October 28, 2008). "Finding a Gold Mine in Digital Ditties". The New York Times. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "The Jay Leno Show".
- "Rising Star Rising Star: Joel Moss Levinson". December 1, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-07-14. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- "Planet Smoothie Issues a Call for Green Inventors With Its "New Year! New Look! New You!" Campaign". Reuters. February 4, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2020-01-02.