Planet of Ice
|Planet of Ice|
|Studio album by Minus the Bear|
|Released|| August 21, 2007
August 20, 2007
|Recorded||Robert Lang, Red Room|
|Genre||Indie rock, experimental rock, progressive rock, math rock|
|Label||Suicide Squeeze Records|
|Producer||Minus the Bear, Matt Bayles|
|Minus the Bear chronology|
|The A.V. Club||A- |
|No Ripcord||8/10 |
|Pitchfork Media||7.2/10 link|
Planet of Ice is the third full-length album from Minus the Bear, released on August 21, 2007 by Suicide Squeeze Records. It was produced and recorded by the band's former keyboard player, Matt Bayles, in February and March 2007. It is the first Minus the Bear album to feature keyboardist Alex Rose, who replaced Matt Bayles after he left the band to concentrate on his career as a producer. It is also their last album on Suicide Squeeze Records until 2017's Voids.
|8.||"When We Escape"||4:03|
|9.||"Double Vision Quest"||4:27|
|iTunes Bonus Track|
|11.||"Cat Calls and Ill Means"||3:39|
The first edition contained a Bonus CD with four tracks, two of which did not appear on Planet of Ice.
|3.||"Knights" (P.O.S. Remix)||3:34|
|4.||"Ice Monster" (Demo)||3:51|
A limited run of 2000 colored records was pressed and released by Suburban Home on vinyl imprint, Vinyl Collective. High demand led to a second pressing, which included a limited edition tour pressing.
To date, there have been four official pressings of Planet of Ice on vinyl. All pressings are double LPs.
A test pressing of 20 copies was pressed by Suburban Home records. Copies were given to the band members, recording engineers, and management. Unique artwork was hand painted on each sleeve by Vinnie Fasano.
- 2000 copies total, sold out prior to US release date.
- 500 - clear with magenta splatter
- 500 - clear with silver splatter
- 500 - white with silver splatter
- 500 - solid silver
- 1000 copies total, shipping early October 2007. Has since sold out.
- 500 - clear with gold splatter (tour exclusive)
- 500 - solid white
- 1000 copies total, made available in 2008 after second pressing sold out.
- 500 - coke bottle blue
- 500 - baby pink
- 1000 copies total, made available in 2010 after third pressing.
- 500 - clear granite
- 500 - clear with purple splash
- Jake Snider - vocals, guitar
- Dave Knudson - guitar
- Erin Tate - drums, percussion
- Cory Murchy - bass
- Alex Rose - keyboards, saxophone, vocals
- Co-produced by Chris Common
- Engineered by Matt Bayles and Chris Common
- Additional engineering by Alex Rose and Jake Snider
- Mixed by Matt Bayles
- Mastered by Ed Brooks
- Cover Art by Ryan Blinsky